Skip to main content
Solved

SB6183 & SB6190 modems - Slow internet speed

• 16 July 2024
  • 6 replies

I’ve been using a SB6183 for a number of years now, and yesterday I was told by Infinity techie that my incoming speed was GREAT (better then 1000mbps), but it was my modem that slowed it down to 45-55 mbps. How is this happening when the specs on the modem says it does up to 686 mbps?

So lets say i need a new modem,...maybe the follow on product SB6190. Looking thru various sites does NOT give me a lot of confidence this modem is any good?? Can these relatively simply units be that hi-rate faulty?

Then I saw on a Comcast/Infinity community forum where Comcast themselves were defeating some installations of hi-speed modems,...some of these from ARRIS ??

What is this world coming to,...a whole lot of mis-information. I’m just a plain old 81 year old model railroader who wants to surf the forums, and is NOT a computer-head to figure out basic stuff   !

All I need according to those more informed is a speed of 100-300 mbps to cut out this ‘firefox not responding’, and msnbc choppy reception

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Badge +1

I ran across an ad by Walmart that I might pick up a replacement locally. BUT when i searched the negative replies, it sure sounds sketchy for any of these ARRIS products?

https://www.walmart.com/reviews/product/691396253?filter=1

Do they really have this many faulty modems??

Badge +1

I bought a new SB6190 modem from Walmart 2 days ago, and I spent the afternoon (2 hrs) on the phone with Comcast trying to get it operational. So far it has FAILED to give me a speed greater than 67 mbps !!  … my incoming speed to the house is over 1,500 per the Comcast techie. Why can’t i get a better speed ??

Before I replaced my old modem with the new one I tried to hook my laptop directly to the modem (eliminating the router out of the loop). For some reason I could not get that to work?    So I went on forward and installed the new SB6190 modem i had just purchased. I tried the same procedure,..(to hook the laptop directed to the modem).  I finally got that to work a few times, BUT I still did not get an inter-speed above 65mbps !!!

Is this another faulty modem I have purchased !!

Badge +1

I saw this Arris modem advertised,..

Arris Touchstone CM8200A DOCSIS 3.1 Ultra Fast Cable Modem 32X8 Gigabit (Black)

then i read this review,..

Did not work out of the box. I had the same model for about five years before it failed so I decided to buy the same one again. An electronic device that doesn't work right out of the box can cause allot of trouble shooting headaches. I returned this one and bought another brand at a box store. There's no way to tell if this was defective and repackaged, or was defective from the factory. No time to make the same mistake.

I’ve read so many bad reviews on these ARRIS modems, I’m no sure I can trust them to sell me a fully functioning modem??

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

SB6190 is compatible speed up 400Mbps to 600Mbps. I suggest degrading the speed plan within the compatible speed.

Since you are experiencing with slow speed internet connection, I would suggest checking the cable signal levels.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB6190-Cable-Signal-Levels

Badge +1

This sounds like a number of other reports I’ve seen,...”the blame game”.

manufacture says it is cable companie’s fault, cable company claims it is manufacture’s fault

Who can we believe these days with all this FAKE stuff !!

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

I understand your concern. I request to check the cable signal levels to make sure all in range.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB6190-Cable-Signal-Levels