Question

ISP Complaining aboutSB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

• 16 February 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

Recently, a technician from the evil ISP I currently forced to pay $94.99 for 500 Mbps internet access (as they have a monopoly on internet connections in my area) tried unannounced,  to swap out my cable modem for an ISP provided DOCSIS 3.1 modem. The technician insisted that my current modem was cause issues with the ISP’s signal.  Sensing this was yet another of the ISP’s manipulative lies, I refused to change modems. The event log noted some issues, e.g., “No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out...”

My questions are:

1. Did the technician have a point?
  2. Since the SB6190 cannot be “updated” to DOCSIS 3.1, is it necessary to buy a new cable modem

Thank you,

Umrk

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Badge

I included an image of my modem’s current status below for your reference:

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

tough to read that picture. It looks like there’s errors though. And if you’re getting t3 errors, it tends to indicate a line issue and not a modem issue. 

An upgrade to docsis 3.1 can help but it isn’t going to fix the line. I’d remove any splitters/amplifiers/signal attenuators from the line as they can degrade signal. 

Badge

Hello plemans,

Thank you for your response.

Sorry for ther poor quality of the image I posted. I posted a better image below.Nevertheless, you were correct in noting that errors were logged by my modem .Given the number of uncorrectable errors noted in the image below, what do you suggest? I know that were I to contact the ISP, they would insist on replacing my modem with their combo modem/router, which I won’t do.

Additionally, I do have an amplifier. This was installed to address the ISP’s weak signal. If I unplug the amplifier, won’t that cause more issues?

I hope the image below has the info needed for you to provide a detailed response. If you need any additionial info, let me know and I’ll post it here.

Regards,

Umrk

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

amplifiers can cause errors in the line and noise. If you take it out of the line and repost your signal, it might help. Sometimes its better to be a little low but have a clean signal than to be in the normal range with a bad signal. 

At the current time, I’d say the ISP needs to bump up the signal coming to your home without an amplifier. 

Badge

“At the current time, I’d say the ISP needs to bump up the signal coming to your home without an amplifier.” This would be the solution in an ideal world. However, after several months of complaining about the weak signal, and numerous visits by the ISP’s technicians, the ISP “resolved” the issue by adding an amplifier (or so they claimed). . I’m afraid I’ll be forced to resume my campaIgn of complaints to get them to address the weak signal. And I am pretty sure they will first try to replace my cable modem.  So, any other suiggestions you might have would be appreciated,.

Thank you,
Umrk

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

It might be a sketchy amplifier. Thats why if you hook up with just the line (no amplifier) and run it for a little bit then post your signal page back it might help. Right now you’re power levels are a bit all over.