Question

SB6190 in 2023

• 5 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Since 2016 I have read many articles about the faulty SB6190 Puma 6 chipset and latency jitter issues. 

I have also read many recent positive reviews of the modem. 

Arris no longer advertises the Intel Chipset inside on the box or modem itself. 

So now in 2023, did Arris stop using the alleged defective chipset for another chipset or are the latency jitter issues now resolved. 

I don't know whether I made a mistake buying the modem on sale or the current versions of the modems have the problems resolved. 

Most Forums talk about 2016, I would like to know the current status of the SB6190 in 2023.

If anyone has the answers, thanks in advance. 

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

I haven’t seen much about the puma 6 issue because most devices have moved on past docsis 3.0 to 3.1 devices and puma 7 chips or even other chips. So there hasn’t been a whole lot of news about it. 

All you can do is try it and see. If it works fine (because many do), great. 

Badge

Thanks. Mine provisioned well by Optimum and I am getting very close to my 300mbps. I feel as if 7 years later, and a class action lawsuit forced Arris to either improve the firmware or replace the Puma 6 as they do not advertise Intel on the box or on the modem front. 

Like you said many SB6190 probably work well but all that people post ABOUT from 2016 are the lemons, and the modems that are working well we don't hear about by other posters or reviewers over the years. 

Badge

PS I should have asked whether anyone knows if Arris finally fixed the latency issues, and faulty Puma 6 chipset by implementing a firmware update, and a chipset replacement?

This would be good to know. As I mentioned the Intel Inside logos have been removed.