Solved

Astound can't provision SB8200

• 3 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I spent a couple of hours on the phone with Astound (formerly RCN) and they could not get my SB8200 to provision. they would send signal, lights would blink, and then it would just turn off. If I reconnected the ISP supplied modem there was no connectivity issues.Tried to call Arris and even though they say they are open 7-Midnight central time the voicemail said they were closed at 10:25PM.

I connected directly into the modem and couldn’t communicate with it either as the modem won’t stay on. Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 14 November 2023, 23:16

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +18

Is this a brand new unit? If you disconnect the coax and perform a factory reset, will it stay up? If so, when you connect your PC to the SB8200 via ethernet are you able to access the Admin console as expected? Trying to understand if the issue is at the unit in its factory configuration, of if the issue occurs after Astound provisions and presumably performs the first firmware push.

Badge

Yes, this was a brand new unit. Performing the factory reset did not fix the issue with the modem not staying powered up, which was not an issue prior to Astound sending the provisioning over. Since it won’t stay powered up I can’t access the admin console.

Userlevel 2
Badge +18

Just to confirm, did you disconnect the coax before doing the factory reset? I would expect a full reset of firmware/passwords. Most curious.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

As sb8200 is a cable modem,  to check if it is connected to the internet we need to connect directly to a laptop or computer in order to check the IP address. 

Also, you mentioned the modem power does not stay up if there is no light on the modem do reach arris.com/consumersupport for further help on the warranty claim.