Solved

Cox is telling me that my Arris SB8200 is bad, but I don't think the tech was competent.

• 3 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge

https://imgur.com/a/jqy8wzn

Image files of the modem status in the link above.

Tech came in, put a simple continuity tester on the barrel connector in basement and declared I have a bad router. I insisted the router is fine (it's a couple year-old Asus RT-AX86U).

So then he did some actual testing on the outside line and said all is good. But he did change out an attenuator where the line comes into the basement, is barreled together, and runs directly to my modem. He said it was the wrong attenuator for the service.

I have whatever the top package is... gigaspeed or something like that.

When I first had an issue last night, I was getting 800 download speed, and only 1.5 upload. Although today when I checked, before he came, I was getting 800 and 40. After he left I am getting 670 and 11.

His contention is that the modem is fluctuating and needs to be replaced.

I feel like he was initially being lazy and didn't want to do any real testing.... so I am still not confident in his conclusion. What say you?

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 14 February 2024, 19:29

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

I’d be better on an incompetent/lazy tech too. Your levels are all over the place, out of spec, and you have a ton of errors. So either the modem is bad or the line is. I’d be betting on the line. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

As we understand that there is a drop on the download speed varying from 800mbps to 670mbps on download so to check if the modem is working properly please connect the modem directly to a hardwired ethernet port laptop or computer and check the cable signal levels . 

Please follow the below link : 

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB8200-Cable-Signal-Levels

If you would require more information on the same contact arris.com/consumersupport