Solved

Is Amazon an authorized seller?

• 16 October 2023
  • 12 replies

Badge

Bought the SB8200 on Amazon in February and it said two year warranty. Arris website says it has to be from Arris.com or authorized seller to be valid. So, is Amazon authorized? 

It’s starting to lose connection after working fine for 7 months. I see others having the same issue, must be built it obsolescence or lack of quality.

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 17 October 2023, 20:28

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +18

You may also be having a signal issue with your ISP. What are your signal levels and signal to noise levels when losing connection? What messages do you see in the event log?

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

You can check your warranty. 

https://arris.my.salesforce-sites.com/consumers/ConsumerWarranty?checkWarranty=true&pageIdentifier=homepage

Badge

Thanks for the help. Called the 800 number and spoke to a rep. Was told that the power of the upstream was greater than the amount that it should be, causing the modem to continuously reboot. I was told I have to contact my ISP (Cox) and tell them that the number is off. It has suppressed a bit and I can use it for now. But the number is still high. I’m not knowledgeable enough to really understand much of this.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

If the power level is higher than the range in upstream channel, you have to contact internet service provider to adjust the levels within a range

Or inform them to Re-provisioning the modem to fix this issue.

Also Suggested to send us the signals levels for the upstream channels and downstream channels to assist you further.

Badge

Just got off the phone with a Cox tech rep. She went through her prepared speech and ultimately informed me that my modem was unhealthy and to contact them later if I needed anymore help.  I explained what I was told by Arris about the upload speed being to high a number but to no avail. 

So, Arris says it's ISP problems, Cox says it's modem problems. And I knew when Arris blamed the ISP, that this would be the result. But a modem with a two year warranty and get 7 months of service. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +18

Since it is Cox, you might want to post over on forums.cox.com. 

With that said, I recommend sending an email with your full name, address, and a brief description of this concern to cox.help@cox.com 

Badge

Is it safe to say you agree with Arris?

Userlevel 2
Badge +18

I’ll put it this way, most Tier 1 techs have no way to diagnose whether the modem is performing properly. And, most Tier 1 techs don’t understand connection strength or event log issues. So, I’d assume the modem is working properly until you have concrete evidence otherwise.

Userlevel 3
Badge +23

Bought the SB8200 on Amazon in February and it said two year warranty. Arris website says it has to be from Arris.com or authorized seller to be valid. So, is Amazon authorized? 

Not many people are aware of this but you have to look at Sold by when buying from online stores.  Amazon, Walmart, Target, etc are authorized retailer but not marketplace resellers.  So we have to make sure we are buying from Amazon or Walmart.   

Based on my experience, most manufactures won’t honor warranty if you purchase from marketplace resellers.

Badge

To LoveMyLab,

I appreciate your help and I am sorry if my question sounded snide, it was an honest one.

The link to Cox help was just what I needed. Unlike the rep. on the phone, this one said straight up that she could provision my modem. She did so, but again I experienced additional trouble holding a connection. In our emails back and forth she told me that it appeared that my modem was not staying connected to my router so a change of ethernet cable seems to help for now.

Again Thank You!

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Do you have a copy of the upstream/downstream values? 

Usually if the upstream is high, something is adding resistance in line. 

I’d start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenautors, or splitters from the line and direct connect it to where the coax comes into the house. Try that (and post the screensnip of the cable connections info)

This is Arris’ response always. That the signal strength is wrong.  Xfinity tested mine and it was correct.  The problem is the S36 but Arris still says it is Xfinity’s problem.  I have a S36 stilling in a box that is not worth a dime to me and will never buy anything else that Arris sells.  Netgear is the way to go.