Question

Is it correct that Mediacom is responsible for firmware updates to my SB8200 ?

• 15 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Looks like the firmware on my SB8200 was malfunctioning (long story, but trust me on this). Mediacom tech support told me to request Arris to update my firmware.

According to what I’ve read in this Community, it seems like Mediacom should push any/all firmware updates to my SB8200.

Related info: hardware reset in my SB8200 cleared up my issues.  So the firmware probably was trashed.

Going forward, I would appreciate some informed input from y’all before I start getting after Mediacom.

Thank you, Dave

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Badge

Never mind.

Yes - Arris won’t update firmware

Yes - Mediacom won’t update firmware

No - Arris won’t let end users update the software (firmware) on their own SB8200

And a bunch of Mediacom lawyers came up with this language on their website: “these 3rd party cablemodems (listed below….) are compatible with our service”, buuuuut they don’t actually say that those 3rd party CMs are products that Mediacom supports. Products that they, in truth, don’t support.

So…..rent the Mediacom modem for $13/mo until hell freezes over, or until they raise the rate, again.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

the firmware is part of the provisioning when mediacom sets up modems. Its like this manufacturer wide as its part of the docsis spec. And arris might have updated firmware available but its on mediacom to certify it and push it out. And it costs them $ to certify it so its rare that they do. 

Its an industry wide issue. 

But sounds like you have it working again. Good work