Solved

Is SB8200 speed limited to 800mbs?

• 26 August 2022
  • 2 replies

just tried a Arris SB8200 on Vyve cable's gig plan (they say max of 960mps).

I couldn't get above about 600mbs so Vyve sent out a tech who replaced something on the pole feed (anyone know what that might be?) That got me up to the 800 neighborhood but no further.

Thinkin it might be modem prob so so contacted Arris tech support.  He said (and confirmed when I asked a different way) that the SB8200 would not go above 800mbs on several major carriers result of a technical implementation.

The tech said that I had two options:
Change vyve plan to one that had max of 800 mbs, or:
Buy another Arris (also DOCSIS 3.1) modem - the Arris S33.

Clearly, although a modem is advertised as DOCSIS 3.1 compliant, who knows what speed you can get in the home/office installation.

any way for me to get full speed from the gig plan or do I have to buy (yet) another modem???

///

icon

Best answer by plemans 26 August 2022, 03:40

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

I’ve hit the 960mbps on it through xfinity. I don’t have vyve but if they’re not using docsis 3.1, that’d result in less than gigabit speeds. but even upgrading wouldn’t get you to gigabit. 

Tough to know because I’ve never used that provider. Do they certify it to gigabit speeds? (vyve that is) 

Many will only certify certain devices to gigabit speeds

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

do their devices hit gigabit? I’d probably have them test that too to confirm if its a modem issue