Skip to main content
Question

is the SB8200 affecting the Wi-FI?

• 27 January 2023
  • 4 replies

I have xfinity and using a SB8200 and a TP-Link AX3000

besides for Wi-FI I also have the 2 laptops and an TV connected to the AX3000

My Wi-Fi is going from 800Mbps to ZERO randomly and frequently , even after I run reboots on both the SB8200 and the AX3000. all firware is up to date. Please note that the devices connected to the AX3000 continue to run strong even when there’s no Wi-Fi

this is the 3rd router I’ve had this happen to in the past 2 years so i’m thinking it’s not the router any longer. Has anyone had this experience  with an SB?

The SB8200 won’t impact wireless speeds. 

when you’re speeds drop, test a hardwired pc/laptop that supports gigabit speeds. See what you hit. 

If you’re getting full speeds wired, then the issue is the router. 

The SB8200 won’t impact wireless speeds. 

when you’re speeds drop, test a hardwired pc/laptop that supports gigabit speeds. See what you hit. 

If you’re getting full speeds wired, then the issue is the router. 

I was originally leaning towards the router too but when the same issue has happened to 3 different routers im having trouble thinking they all have the same bad builds

Ethernet to laptop has proven to be strong with each router. It's just WiFi from router that has the consistent problem 

Hello Kyt

SB8200 is just a cable modem so we need to test the modem only on direct connection without router. In this case we would suggest you to monitor the modem internet on direct connection hardwired for 24hrs and if still the intermittent issue persist you can try resetting modem without coax cable for 30secs then check it again. You can also check the cable signal level to confirm whether your modem getting proper signal from the internet service provider or not by following the steps mentioned on the link below.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB8200-Cable-Signal-Levels

Let us know if this helps.

It can also be Wi-Fi connection problem. I would try to place the Wi-Fi router away from other electronics (cable modems, TV).  If the Wi-Fi devices are further away, make sure they have clear line of sight, connect to 2.4 GHz (might need to manually set 2.4 GHz 1, 6, or 11.  Channel that is least congested), or might need to add Wi-Fi extenders.  If the Wi-Fi devices are closer, connect to 5 GHz for faster speed. 

Rule of thumb, 2.4 GHz covers greater distance but at lower speed than 5 GHz.  5 GHz provides faster speed on shorter distance than 2.4 GHz.