Solved

New Modem - No Internet

• 18 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I just purchased a new SB8200. I contacted my ISP to change my MAC address to the new modem. When it powers on, everything lights up except the bottom light indicating internet service. When I called my ISP,  they aren’t seeing the modem. I did a hard reboot with no luck. 

Trying to set up a Google Mesh Wifi. The Google can’t link with the modem either (with ethernet). 

ISP sent technician out today and they verified service and connections are good. They reconnected me back to my old router and recommended I return the modem. 

I felt like I should just be able to connect it, link it with my router, and be ready to go, but it’s not working out that way. Any suggestions? Do I need to go to the Default Gateway and make any changes for initial setup of the modem? 

icon

Best answer by LoveMyLab 18 October 2023, 14:33

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +18

I use an SB8200 with Google mesh no problem. 

Let’s start by connecting your PC, assuming you have one, directly to the top port on the SB8200. Reboot the SB8200, and then confirm that your PC can connect and navigate to 192.168.100.1 which allows you to log in (admin/last 8 of serial number) and check the signal/status of your connection. Let us know what you find. 

You can’t do any useful setup with Google mesh until you have the SB8200 connected to the internet. If they Google mesh was working fine with the previous modem, you won’t have any configuration to do when you change modems. I recently switched models with no issue except at the ISP.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

I’ve seen them enter in the wrong MAC info before. Who’s your isp? 

Can you install via their app (xfinity allows it). 

If so, try that route. 

You can also compare the mac on the hardware to the one when you log into the modem to mac sure they’re the same. I had a refurb unit with a sticker over it that had the wrong info one time. Worth comparing. It has to be activated in their system with the proper mac. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

and it wouldn’t be the first tech who didn’t look at it right either.