Solved

No internet on SB8200

• 6 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

My SB8200 will not connect to the internet. The upstream and downstream LEDS will turn solid green after a few moments and then the online light will blink for a few minutes before the whole procedure starts again. I’ve had two countless calls and two techs come and say that the signals on the cables are fine, going as far to replace them just incase. No one can find a solution. It’s been provisioned and even reprovisioned by my ISP, and after they blamed faulty hardware I even replaced it with another SB8200 and have the same issue. Apologies for the phone photo of event log, without internet I can’t transfer it from my pc. It’s been a week of trying to get this solved and I’m at my wits end.

icon

Best answer by LoveMyLab 7 October 2023, 15:35

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +18

Would you please post your current upstream and downstream signals/errors from the Status page? From your log, I would say there is something wrong with signal or provisioning.

Badge

This is what was shown at the time of those errors.

Userlevel 2
Badge +18

I would say there is a problem with your signal. Only one downstream,  only one upstream, incorrect levels, and the status shows the connection and setup is not completing. I think you need help from your ISP. Have you rechecked that your connections are secure?

Badge

Yeah the connections are secure. I’ve even had two service visits where the techs tested the coax cables to the modem theirselves. I forgot to add that I also have 1gb internet and a phone modem that is provisioned separately. They assured me that other people have this setup and that it works, so they aren’t sure what the issue is. Everyone I’ve spoken to on my ISP’s side says the don’t know anything about the event logs or what they mean. They blamed the hardware as faulty. So I bought a new SB8200, and had it provisioned to no avail either.

Userlevel 2
Badge +18

Here’s about what your status should show.

Note that based on your screenshots, you are never successfully completing basic startup with your ISP. If this has happened with two different SB8200 devices, I’d wonder if the provisioning was set up for the correct device IP and MAC. With Cox, you have to give them the MAC and Serial Number.

If you are on 1 gb service with Cox, you might actually have 2 downstream OFDM channels and 1 upstream. 

If the techs are seeing a good signal, and you have tried with two different devices, I would do a factory reset on the one you have, and then reach out to your ISP and ask them to reprovision your device. Then, have them confirm they can see your device from their end. They should be able to restart it, see signal levels, and a more advanced tech (Tier 2) can see the event log (and understand what it means). The Tier 1 folks that work of a script won’t. Tier 1 won’t typically do much more than have you reboot and ask if it is working again. With Cox, you can say you need tech support, though you’ll have a longer wait time to get through.

Userlevel 3
Badge +23

@Lorelock I whole heartily agree with @LoveMyLab.  Who is your ISP by the way?  If this is a new install, does your ISP allow the SB8200 on your subscribed speed?  If you’re replacing your old modem, make sure to disconnect it when activating the SB8200.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

I’m a little surprised when you said you had a modem/phone provisioned separate. Most ISP’s won’t allow multiple modems connected (in my experience).