Skip to main content

I’ve had this modem for a couple years with Xfinity and so far no issues to report.  Recently, I’ve been getting emails from Xfinity that I need to upgrade my modem to match the speeds I have.  I’m on a 1200 Mbps service plan. I thought that was strange as the box this modem comes in states download speeds up to 10Gbps.  Xfinity tells me that this modem only supports 1Gbps.  

I looked on Arris’s website and now I see that the information appears to have changed.  What am I missing?  Does this modem not support above 1Gbps now?  I bought this thinking I was future proofing but it appears that I was wrong.  

Appreciate the help correcting my thinking.

The 10Gbps is capable speed from Xfinity to SB8200. Then the modem can split the service to the two 1Gbps Ethernet ports if you are subscribed to two lines.  It’s not the same as your Internet speed.

If you subscribed to one line (which most residential users are), you are limited to the speed allowed by Xfinity and limited by the 1Gbps Eth port. 

Thank you for your reply. So if I understand, this modem should be downloading near the 1200Mbps speeds my service has. Why would Xfinity tell me otherwise?

Xfinity does not allow SB8200 on their 1.2Gbps with good reason. And that reason is due to the 1Gbps Eth port on the SB8200.  

If they did, you would only achieve up to 1Gbps due to the 1Gbps Ethernet port on the SB8200 and most likely on the WAN/Internet port of your Wi-Fi router.  

I’m using S33 with Xfinity 1.2Gbps plan. The S33 has 2.5Gbps Ethernet port but I’ll need a Wi-Fi router with 2.5Gbps Internet port to get up to 1.2Gbps. 

I’m not a believer in “future proof”. By the time future arrive, technology will be better than my last purchase.

Great point, 1 Gig Ethernet is not going to get you more than that thank you. Should have realized that sooner but was too focused on the 10 Gbps marking.