Question

SB8200 Constantly Resetting

• 11 November 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

I have an Arris SB8200 Modem. Recently, it is resetting (i think) or turning off and turning on multiple times a day. It is extremely frustrating, as it used to never do this and now it is constantly doing this. The blue lights will go off, and then will turn yellow for about a minute and then go back to blue and the internet is back. Attached are the event logs and other info about the modem. What do I need to do in order to make this problem go away? Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to help

Downstream

Upstream

[EDIT: deleted image with personal information by moderator]

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Badge

Not a solution, but I’m having the same exact issue with my SB8200.  No problems over the last year and a half, and all of a sudden this last week has been terrible.  Dropping internet for a minute here and there.  Today was the worst yet, lost service for about an hour but none of the lights on the modem were flashing or shut off.  Getting similar T3/T4 errors.  I’m located by Boston and have RCN.  Not sure if that’s relevant at all.

Badge

I think I may have figured out what’s going on.  The SB8200 has two ethernet ports.  My ethernet is plugged into port 1.  For some reason, the port that is active keeps changing.  When port 1 is active everything is perfect.  When port 2 is active (and port 1 inactive) the problems start.

Badge

I think I may have figured out what’s going on.  The SB8200 has two ethernet ports.  My ethernet is plugged into port 1.  For some reason, the port that is active keeps changing.  When port 1 is active everything is perfect.  When port 2 is active (and port 1 inactive) the problems start.

so is there a solution to fix that problem?

Badge

Thought I had something, but no.  Will try to RMA this modem or switch to a modem with only one ethernet port.

Badge

Update - Well I don’t think it’s the modem anymore.  Had another RCN tech come out and they were able to see that my upstream SNR (which is conveniently not shown when logging into your modem) is dropping into the low 20s at times, which is causing disconnects.  They’re going to replace the taps outside in the next couple of days because they look corroded.  The tap to my house was replaced a few days ago, but some of the other taps in the box look bad and they said that can affect my house.

I’m able to view my upstream SNR at this site, but not sure if it will work with your provider or outside of MA - http://ma.speedtest.astound.com/merlin/

Badge

Update - Well I don’t think it’s the modem anymore.  Had another RCN tech come out and they were able to see that my upstream SNR (which is conveniently not shown when logging into your modem) is dropping into the low 20s at times, which is causing disconnects.  They’re going to replace the taps outside in the next couple of days because they look corroded.  The tap to my house was replaced a few days ago, but some of the other taps in the box look bad and they said that can affect my house.

I’m able to view my upstream SNR at this site, but not sure if it will work with your provider or outside of MA - http://ma.speedtest.astound.com/merlin/

I appreciate you trying to help… everywhere I’ve looked suggests that it isn’t the modem and it’s something else. I’ve got a technician coming tomorrow so hopefully he can figure out what the problem is. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Oreofirelight 

Please check the cable signal level in the SB8200 to inform your technician.  They should be able to address cable and splitters on the physical connection.  

SB8200: CABLE SIGNAL LEVELS

Let us know who is your Cable Internet provider and the outcome of the technician visit.