Solved

SB8200 downstream connectivity light is green instead of blue

• 6 November 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

The modem is only a few months old and since a week I have an issue with it.

I use comcast/xfinity and the downstream connectivity light has always been blue and the upstream has been green because of the slow speed of 40mbps.

My download speed has always been about the same which is 900 mbps. Since the downstream connectivity light has turned green (last week) my download speed has not changed it’s still about 900 mbps and more.

The only way I can have back the blue light to come back it’s by recycling the power or resetting the modem but the blue light will not last. During the day or next day it will turn green again even though the speed is still 900 mbps

Anyone has any idea why this is happening?

Thank you

icon

Best answer by plemans 6 November 2023, 17:31

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

If you’re speed isn’t changing, (according to the post), why are you worried about the light? Its still maxing out the connection

Badge

Because if the light is always green then unless I check there might be a problem and I won’t be aware of it.

I don’t want to spend time on a daily basis to check the speed. The reason there is a blue light is to let the user know the speed is fine or not.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

The led’s aren’t a speed setting. Its letting you know if you’re connected at docsis 3.1 or 3.0. 
Your area might be saturated and switching between the 2 as needed. If you’re hitting full speeds, it doesn’t matter as docsis 3.0 can saturate gigabit connections in that device. 

Badge

You seem to know what you’re talking about. Would you please give me more explanation of this whole process of docsis 3.0 saturating gigabit connections in that device? 

I thought the blue light was lit because the speed was reaching over 600 mbps and goes back to green when below 600 mbps. That’s what Arris support at least told me.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

a docsis 3.0 device with a 32x8 modem can saturate gigabit. Most ISP’s don’t certify them for it and require docsis 3.1 modems to do so. But if you’re still hitting your full speed, I wouldn’t worry about it. 

Badge

Thank you for your help