Skip to main content
Question

SB8200 fails to connect immediately after power cycle, continued

• 8 August 2024
  • 1 reply

My SB8200 will not work immediately after a power cycle.    It must be left unplugged for 15-20 minutes before attempting to reconnect.   The modem is noticeably warm when unplugged, and cold (cool) 15 minutes later.  This problem is very repeatable.   I’ve never had it connect immediately after power-down or reset in over 20 attempts over the last 3 months. Other than this one issue, the modem works fine.   

What circumstances would create this behavior?  I need someone to explain to me why this problem is not a hardware issue…

When plugged back in immediately, the modem will get to the point where the top three lights are solid green but the bottom one is blinking green.    It will stay like this for 2 or 3 minutes (I’ve not timed it) before resetting.   The start-up sequence repeats, ending with the same condition (top 3 solid green, bottom one blinking green).   This repeats for at least an hour (that’s the longest I’ve given it).

I’ve been on the phone with Arris support 5 times and my service provider (Cox) twice to resolve this issue.  Cox as been to my house and verified signal levels.  Arris support refuses to accept that the H/W is faulty but offers no explanation as to why it will work consistently if given time to cool off.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience caused. In this case we would suggest you to reach out to Arris.com/consumersupport for further assistance since your modem is under warranty and we see that you have done all possible troubleshooting and having same issue. So our technical team will help you check further.