Question

SB8200 Incompatible With Apple AirPort Extreme?

• 9 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hi All:  

I recently set up an SB8200 to take advantage of faster speeds offered by WOW.  My previous modem SBG6580 was working fine.  A serious casualty to the upgrade was my pair of Apple Airport Extreme drives.  I use them for wireless service to my home and as a streaming drive for music to my iPad.  I could not get the drives to set up properly with the new SB8200 modem installed.  My situation was that I could have wired internet service to my Mac desktop.  OR I could have connectivity wired between the Apple drives and the mac with wireless functionality indicated on wireless devices - but NO INTERNET.  I couldn’t have it all.  It was all working together before the upgrade.  After hours of playing with settings on the Apple drives in the AirPort Utility, I reinstalled the old SBG6580 and had WOW turn it back on.  Everything effortlessly re-acquainted and it is all working fine again.  I really would like to get the SB8200 working correctly with the Apple drives but don’t know where to go with it.  I tried hard resets on EVERYTHING and various combinations of reboots etc in an effort to get some handshaking going on with the different components to no avail.  I don’t know if it is an impossible incompatibility or a server / DNS / DHCP type of network configuration setting that  I am overlooking.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Badge +2

Not sure I understand all the above.   I think you changed your cable modem and now your WiFi router connected devices can’t get to the internet.   When I upgraded my cable modem my iMac couldn’t access the internet.  I typed in IP addresses and nothing.   I pulled up settings and discovered (1) new DHCP configured IP addresses were like 10.0.x.x and prior to the upgrade they were 192.168.x.x.   (2) the DNS server had an IP address of 192.168.x.x.   

Solution = manually delete the DNS server on the iMac.  It then automagically populated with the DHCP provided DNS address of 10.0.x.x

Maybe you have a similar problem?