Solved

SB8200 modem rebooting with error T4 timeouts

• 9 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

I was using a 6141 but T4 timeouts kept it rebooting.   Went to the 8200 because I wasn’t getting any help with the T3/T4 problems.  So, I think your just fine as long as your local Optimum network is good.   I couldn’t live with the T4 timeouts and reboots.   Oh … my provider is Optimum too.   Not saying my 8200 is doing much better.   No event log,  it staggers at times,  claims it is up when our connected devices say otherwise.   But yeah, calling your provider for a list of supported modems is the answer.

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 13 March 2024, 18:39

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

The cable modem did not received a station maintenance opportunity in which to transmit a Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) message within the T4 timeout period (30 to 35 seconds). The cable modem is resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. Typically, this indicates an occasional, temporary loss of service, but if the problem persists, check for possible service outages or maintenance activity on this particular headend system. This error message is DOCSIS event message is R04.0, Ranging Request.

» Check for the loose or Bad cables. This is by far most neglected and most common fix.

»  Remove extra splitters in house

» Getting powered amplifier to boost your upstream power

»  Buy better coaxial cables

» Call for a technician visit to inspect and fix cables outside and inside home (could be rain damage, fire damage, animal damage, construction damage, etc)
»  Check for any noise sources

Badge +2

Thanks, I’ll check into it.   What sort of noise sources am I looking for?   Just a link to an article would be great. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

I suggest you to let us know, if you find any abnormal sound from the modem.

Badge +2

Will do.