Question

SB8200 Not Accepting Cox Gigablast Provisioning

• 13 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I purchased a new SB8200 to upgrade from Cox 500mbps service to Cox Gigablast. Cox confirmed that my modem was supported.  After installation, I contacted Cox to provision my modem.  After provisioning, I was still only receiving 500 mbps.  A service tech was sent to the house. All cabling between the box on the street to the modem was replaced. There is only one splitter that connects a modem for Cox landline phone. The service tech confirmed that a 1.1 gig signal was present at the modem, but only 500 mbps leaving the modem via ethernet connection. The modem was reset, hard reset, and re-provisioned multiple times with no success. Cox is blaming the modem since it was not provided by them. I have accessed the modem online and confirmed that everything looks normal.  There are 32+2 downstream channels and SNR and power levels appear to be within spec. The event log shows some CM status messages (16 and 24) and the occasional DHCP renew warning. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with this brand new modem, and I’m suspicious that the firmware they’re sending via provisioning is probably not up to date.  Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello Kevin

We understand that you are having slow speed issue, speed plan you are opted in by your internet service provider is a compatible speed plan but still you are facing slow speed issue is because of the cable signal level issue. The Cable Operators (MSOs) have complete control of what cable modem/gateway hardware they will allow installed and the firmware it uses, this is because they own the coaxial cable that is connected to the ARRIS SB8200, because of that the Firmware updates are pushed by them, and any update needed as well. Any associated firmware updates are automatically deployed by the cable operator. This is not an ARRIS only implementation, but the required implementation of any cable device manufacturer.

Even for the device owned by the customer only your internet service provider can update firmware, device manufacturer or the customers don't have option to update firmware on the modem. For reference you can check the modem current firmware version on the modem interface or GUI.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

do you have a pc/laptop directly connected to the modem? Or are you running through a router? 

If so, what router and try it directly connected to the modem. 

What pc are you testing on? 

What website are you using for speed testing?

Badge

560 mb leaving the modem via ethernet connection to both the service tech’s laptop and my personal laptop, both HPs.  Speed was via OOKLA Speedtest and Fast.com, confirmed by an independent reading from service tech’s meter.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

I’d check and see if they can re-provision it. It wouldn’t be the first time the wrong provisioning was sent.