Solved

SB8200 Recurring Crashes

Purchased new SB8200 in February and installed and activated it per Comcast and Arris instructions.  Had new Linksys MR9600 router already installed and operating. Had no trouble for a few weeks and for 3 months now recurring crashes and DOCSIS 3.1 dropped to DOCSIS 3.0.  However, the DOCSIS chipset remains online to Comcast and they show the modem and system still up and operating with no indication or record of outages from their viewpoint.  Had 5 Comcast technician onsite inspections and nobody has the answer.  Currently have a borrowed Comcast Xfinity modem in place and absolutely no outages, slow downs, or connection issues which is at least circumstantial evidence that the Arris SB8200 modem is faulty.  Rebooting resumes internet connection and service but only briefly before another crash.  I do not know whether SB8200 is incorrectly configured but I changed nothing after taking it out of the box and would not know how anyway.  If there is a solution I would be interested in being pointed in the right direction.  

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 6 October 2022, 00:46

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Purchased new SB8200 in February and installed and activated it per Comcast and Arris instructions.  Had new Linksys MR9600 router already installed and operating. Had no trouble for a few weeks and for 3 months now recurring crashes and DOCSIS 3.1 dropped to DOCSIS 3.0.  However, the DOCSIS chipset remains online to Comcast and they show the modem and system still up and operating with no indication or record of outages from their viewpoint.  Had 5 Comcast technician onsite inspections and nobody has the answer.  Currently have a borrowed Comcast Xfinity modem in place and absolutely no outages, slow downs, or connection issues which is at least circumstantial evidence that the Arris SB8200 modem is faulty.  Rebooting resumes internet connection and service but only briefly before another crash.  I do not know whether SB8200 is incorrectly configured but I changed nothing after taking it out of the box and would not know how anyway.  If there is a solution I would be interested in being pointed in the right direction.  

I’m currently having the same issue. There’s nothing you can change in your modem, only ISP can. I’m getting a new modem that has Docsis 3.0 to see if that’s the issue.

I was using an old Motorola SB6141 which is DOCSIS 3.0 and having no problems at all and plan to install an Arris SB6190 which is DOCSIS 3.0when I get home from this trip.  I fully expect the installation and operation of the SB6190 to operate without such troubles.  But it is terribly frustrating to attempt to gain any technical support or advice from Comcast’s supposed “technicians” which is about the equivalent to having a meaningful conversation with Comcast bots.  I will post results, I expect, over the weekend.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello whcatty

The SB8200 is a cable modem, meaning that you don’t need to configure anything to make it work. Now, when it comes to the DOCSIS mode, it will depend on the service that you’re getting from your service provider but this not really means that there might be something wrong. If the device considers that it requires to work on 3.1 since the internet speed that you have requires it, it’ll do it, but if not, your device will remain in 3.0 mode.  

Again, this doesn’t mean that there’s an actual issue with the device or your service.

Hope this information helps.