Solved

sb8200 takes ~10mins to give routers updated ip - daily

• 21 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Badge +3

Not sure if this is an isp issue, a modem issue, or an issue w my signal levels.

im sure my isp - optimum - will blame me for not using their equipment,
it seems like its could be an issue w my cable modem? Ive seen about 4-6 posts with seemingly similar issues. I also have the issue where you can not access the modem gui management page.

i’ve been at the same location for 7yrs, had optimum residential cable, business cable, and now switched back to residential service for better price and 1gig service. This issue is new since replacing my old docsis 3.0 sb cable modem + router to the sb8200 + 2 different routers that both have the same issue.

equipment is this - sb8200 -> router/firewall → switch → ap/ethernet.

at least once a day my router loses the internet connection for about 10m. all the lights on the modem indicate that it is connected as normal. I suspect this is related to the isp dynamic address updating

if i plug my laptop in directly, it immediately receives an ip address and connects to the internet.

is this just how the modem works? seems odd never happened on any other modem
or an issue w the isp that i have called about and they claimed i have a signal and so its not their issue.

i have tried 2 diff routers, same issue. I though it was the cheap tplink router/wifi box having same issue w new router/firewall.

also am i correct, that without a subscription this is the only tech support from arris/sb (whatever the company is called now)

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 22 January 2024, 06:44

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

To isolate the issue we would suggest you to connect device like laptop to the modem ethernet port without router and monitor connection for 24hrs if you see the internet drops then we need to check for the modem signal level that your modem receiving from the service provider. To access modem interface or GUI you need to do that on direct connection because sometimes router will not allow modem IP to access.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB8200-Cable-Signal-Levels

Badge +3

thank you for the response,

taking everything on my network offline for 24hrs is not really an option. And if it was i would just leave the house and never notice if my router was offline.

I can only access the modem gui directly connecting and using the work around with a manual ip settings. Even if my laptop is directly connected and receiving an ip address from the modem.

I had previously found the faq w signal levels and will do so once i have time.

thank you

Badge +3

fwiw, im not sure what changed or happened - but the issue has seemed to resolve it’s self without any action.

Badge +3

edit - things did not actually resolve themselves.

i was looking at the wrong log.

also did optimum reply here or was it some other support forum? they were zero help, told me the internet connection seemed to be working so it wasnt their problem.

Badge +3

To isolate the issue we would suggest you to connect device like laptop to the modem ethernet port without router and monitor connection for 24hrs if you see the internet drops then we need to check for the modem signal level that your modem receiving from the service provider. To access modem interface or GUI you need to do that on direct connection because sometimes router will not allow modem IP to access.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB8200-Cable-Signal-Levels

my signal levels seem normal

edit - also re accessing modem gui - even directly connected to the modem, w a modem provided dhcp address - you have to. use work around to connect. this seems like an error.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

If you are unable to login the GUI web portal, I suggest you to try with different device and different browser after resetting the modem.

Badge +3

in short - i dont think this is the issue.

When connecting via the work around - manual ip address/router

I have two browsers that work, neither work under dhcp
Neither work under 2 different routers.

2 other machines and possibly my phone - do not work under 2 different routers.

I never had this issue w my sb6183, I never had to directly connect to the sb6183 to check the gui on the modem

Also- funny thought, what if I only have one machine I can directly connect to the modem?

Badge +3

interestingly - the surfboard central ios app connects to the modem without issue. but does not really serve much purpose for modem only device. and does not show detailed modem info shown on the gui

the ios app seems to be the way to control wifi/network creation on combo devices