Solved

SB8200 upload speed capacity

• 27 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I have been talking to my ISP trying to figure my upload speed issue. 

I am on the 1000mbps down and 100mbps up plan. However my upload is stalling at 20 mbps.  I am trying to find out what the upload speed capacity of this modem is. My ISP is xfinity. The lights for down is blue (docsis 3.1) my up is green (docsis 3.0) all other lights are solid green and the modem works great other than my upload speed. 

can you tell me if this modem is capable for the 100 mbps upload? Is it because they have not activated 3.1 on the upload channel?

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 29 December 2023, 22:06

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

It depends on the ISP that is your internet service provider speed compatibility so if its Xfinity then sb8200 modem is compatible only 800Mbps speed. With other ISP modem is compatible with 1000Mbps speed but need to confirm about your service provider and also the need to check the signal level on the interface since you have green on the upstream light which means its working on docsis 3.0. Please follow the steps mentioned on the below article to check the signal level.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB8200-Cable-Signal-Levels

Badge

I have the same modem and same issue. I tested an S33 modem with identical results.

FWIW Arris’ website for 8200 (preview or download below) states capable up to 10Gbps down (3.1) and more than 2Gbps up (3.1). The Xfinity site rates it as recommended up to 957Mbps down, doesn’t mention up.

https://arris.my.salesforce-sites.com/consumers/ConsumerProductDetail?p=a0ha000000TnNQCAA3&c=SURFboard%20Modems&pageIdentifier=specs

AFAIK Xfinity can provision/update it for whatever they want within those specs and although upload is 3.0 by the look of it, same as yours, but 100Mbps should be no problem. I do get 1Gbps down fine. Up/down signal levels are within spec. Still only get 24Mbps up.

In reading other threads I’m thinking that Xfinity needs the modem to be Next Gen Speed Tier recommended so I’ll probably get a Coda and test that (Xfinity spec 934 down/456 Mbps up).

If that fails then I’ll rent an Xfinity modem $15 for a month to test...