Solved

sb8200 won't send signal to google wifi

• 11 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Yesterday, somehow the signal from the modem to the wifi stopped working. I have good internet hard wired to my mac. I’ve done all the resets on all hardware. Comcast says it’s a modem issue but offered no other help since it’s no their equipment.

The only thing that is different is I pay for 800 mbps and I noticed when I do a speed test on the mac now I’m getting 1.1 gbps. I don’t really pay attention to speed so I don’t know if that’s new or has anything to do with it. The download light on the modem is blue now but I’m not sure if it was always that way because I don’t pay attention to that.

Could the possible increased speed be the issue?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by plemans 11 October 2023, 18:32

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

that sentence “i have good internet hardwired to my mac” makes me suspicious that you have more than 1 device connected to the sb8200. the majority of ISP’s only support 1 public ip address (not all). 

what that means is the modem will only hand out 1 public ip address. If the mac is getting that address, the router doesn’t get one. So disconnect the mac from the modem, (reboot the modem) and go 

modem--->google wifi---->then the mac. 

so only have the google connected to the sb8200. It has 2x ethernet ports but only 1 device can be connected for most ISP’s. 

Badge

Thank you, that was the issue! I figured it out just before I saw your reply. The odd things is that I had both ports working at the same time previous to this. Now I guess I’ll just have the computer get internet via the WiFi.

Thanks again for the reply!