Solved

SB8200 Xfinity upload speed not more than 20mbps on 100mbps plan

• 28 December 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

I have Xfinity 1000 down/100 up plan for over 3 months. I am connecting PC direct to SB8200 for testing and I only get a max of 24mbps upload. Only 1 (new) splitter and no other breaks in the line to the outside box, which has a new cable to the pole. Download is to spec and fine with no errors.

Online Xfinity has reprovisioned the SB8200 at least 20 times and rebooted it at least 30 times over the last 3 months and I’ve logged around 22 hours on the phone with them.

An Xfinity tech came to my house and tested everything and said it was all 100% and the reason I wasn’t getting 100mbps upload was likely to be Xfinity not provisioning it right.

He verified upload 4 bonded channels at 45 dBmV within spec.

To rule out the SB8200 I bought an S33 and had exactly the same result so I returned it.

When I call them Xfinity is now telling me that the problem is the manufacturer needs to update the modem and they can do no more troubleshooting until that is done. I don’t know if that’s true, or a cop out, and I can find nothing online that helps me get an update from the manufacturer.

Has anyone ever got Xfinity to give them the contracted 100mbs upload speed, and if yes, how did you do it? TIA

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 6 January 2024, 02:54

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Can you please check the speed without splitter, On direct connection to the modem.

The speed is compatible with the modem but the speed plan which you opted in is available for your area or not needs to be confirmed by contacting your service provider.

Since you have done checking with two different modem and still facing same issue we would suggest you to check this with your service provider for more details and slow try re provisioning modem.

Badge

TYVM for the reply.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the XF tech and I took the modem outside and plugged it directly into the incoming street cable at the box to rule out the house cabling and splitter, with the laptop hardwired into the modem - the result was the same 1G down and 24M up. He also tried reprovisioning it.

The modem has been reprovisioned over 20 times over 3 months by XF online agents and by the staff at my local XF b&m store. No difference.

The XF online and store staff never directly answer the question whether 1000/100 is available in my area, they only answer that if it wasn’t available then they would not be able to select to provision it. I would guess that no-one wants to stick their neck out on this and say otherwise in case I then downgrade/pay less and go to a slower tier, but maybe I’m just being cynical.

As I wrote elsewhere I’m wondering if XF 1000/100 may need a Next Gen certified modem in my area and so I’ll likely get one of those and see what happens. If that fails then I’ll have to rent an XF modem for $15/mo and test that.

There has to be someone out there that has found the solution to this problem? Sure as heck if I find a fix, I’ll post it.

Badge

Hi Olby

I just recently purchased the SB8200 because the modem that i was renting through the provider would never let me get more than 350mbps download and 55 upload when im paying for 1GB service.

I live in a town that is fairly small and almost an hour from any bigger cities. But my case is also the same as where its new cable all the way out the the power line.

I go through Mediacom though and am also renting EERO devices for an additional 16$ a month just so i can manage who is on my network and set time limits for the kiddos otherwise I  would not be able to receive/modify any of my network. So im very interested in what you find out because i feel as if my provider is lying to me that 1GB service is supported in my area. 

Every tech that has came out makes up a new excuse each time and they always say that the speed looks good on there end. 

Plz lmk what you figure out as im very interested in what it is.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

If you are experiencing with upload slow speed, I suggest you to check with your internet service provider for further assistance.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hi Olby

I just recently purchased the SB8200 because the modem that i was renting through the provider would never let me get more than 350mbps download and 55 upload when im paying for 1GB service.

I live in a town that is fairly small and almost an hour from any bigger cities. But my case is also the same as where its new cable all the way out the the power line.

I go through Mediacom though and am also renting EERO devices for an additional 16$ a month just so i can manage who is on my network and set time limits for the kiddos otherwise I  would not be able to receive/modify any of my network. So im very interested in what you find out because i feel as if my provider is lying to me that 1GB service is supported in my area. 

Every tech that has came out makes up a new excuse each time and they always say that the speed looks good on there end. 

Plz lmk what you figure out as im very interested in what it is.

Compatible speed with Xfinity for SB8200 is 800Mbps. And if you experiencing with upload slow speed , I suggest you to check with your internet service provider for further assistance.

Badge

If you are experiencing with upload slow speed, I suggest you to check with your internet service provider for further assistance.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I’ve already spent around 22 hours on the phone with my internet service provider (Xfinity), talked with support staff in my local Xfinity store, and had one of their technicians to my house. So I don’t think I can do much more checking than that. They all say I should get 100Mbps upload, but no-one can explain why I only get 24, and no-one seems able or willing to fix it.

I’ve already tried an SB8200, an S33 and an SB6190, all with no improvement to the upload speed and so as I wrote above my next step is to try a Next Gen certified modem. Yup, ChargerGeek22, I’ll report back here with my results!