Question

Second ethernet port on ARRIS SB8200

• 16 April 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I just replaced the Xfinity equipment with my own ARRIS SB8200 and a Ubiquity Dream Machine SE router that feeds data lines wired in my home, with 5 end point mesh devices. No problem transitioning all my end use equipment over to one of the 4 networks I set up in the Dream Machine WITH ONE EXCEPTION - SONOS. The more I read, and I am not a techie, I see that there are incompatibility issues between Ubiquity and Sonos, so my desired solution is to connect a conventional wireless router to the second ethernet port on my SB8200, creating a wireless network apart from going through Ubiquity, totally dedicated to Sonos. Will this work? Seems it should if the second ethernet port has the same functionality as the first. Thanks in advance for any help here!

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello bellbuoys,

Hope you would like to connect a conventional wireless router to the second port of sb8200. Usually each port of the modem provides an IP address to connect the devices. 

Hence the first port and second port will have 2 different IP address. 

At the time of activation ISP(Internet Service Provider ) would have provided IP address on the first port , so please activate the second port in order to connect the conventional wireless router .

Kindly check with ISP for more information.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

You’d think it’d be that easy. Sadly, when it comes to xfinity, it isn’t. 

Xfinity only supports 1 public ip address for consumer modems. Meaning only 1 device can be connected to the modem on consumer xfinity accounts.  

You can pay (monthly) for extra public ip address or switch to a business (more expensive) account. 

Not always ideal. You you can work on getting your sonos to work properly. 

I’d check on the sonos forums as there’s a lot of advice for getting them working on mesh/non-standard equipment. Like making sure the initial setup is connected to the primary router.