Solved

used arris sb8200 set up?

• 30 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I was trying to save $15 rental fee and was given used Arris SB8200 surfboard. VYVE activated it on their end but they said arris had to give me the information to get it working? There is no # to call. All I can do is write on this forum. Can someone help?

icon

Best answer by plemans 30 November 2023, 15:47

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

there shouldn’t be any info arris needs to give you. 

If they activated it, you should be able to connect your router to it and install the router. 

One thing to keep in mind is that even though the SB8200 has 2x ethernet ports, most ISP’s only support 1 connected device because they only assign 1 public ip address 

Badge

So this device alone will not allow me to access the internet? I still need a “router”? I’m confused ( no clue on technology ) and thought this was sufficient for internet service?  If not what does this even do? Do I even need it or should I buy a “router”? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

You need a modem and a router. 

I’d type up something but there’s plenty of articles on what a modem versus a router is. 

Google is your friend there. 

Technically you can just just the SB8200 but you’d only be able to have 1 device connected and there’d be ZERO firewall protecting you from outside connections. Not recommended. 

There are modem/router combo devices but the SB8200 isn’t one of those. Its a modem only device. 

If you just bought the SB8200, you could return it and get a combo device with both functions. 

You’d have to check with your ISP on compatibility but the SBG8300 is pretty solid.

Or you can pickup a router. 

Badge

Thanks. Got it !!