Solved

Xfinity Bricked My SB8200

• 9 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge

First post, hope I’m putting this in the right place.

TLDR: Xfinity activation bricked a previously activated SB8200, and their tech support told me to contact Arris for a "configuration file".

I've used a self-owned SB8200 with my Xfinity plan for 3 years, but after upgrading to the gigabit plan, Xfinity began sending me email notices that my equipment isn't capable of fully utilizing my plan.

So, I bought a recommended Arris S33, swapped out the SB8200, and had the S33  activated and running in minutes. I put the SB8200 back in a box for storage, feeling it would be handy to keep around if the S33 failed in the future.

Although the S33 performs just as well, if not better, it is much hotter than the SB8200. So much so, that I decided to return it to Amazon and reinstall the SB8200. (I don't like hot electronics, but that's just me....)

BIG MISTAKE.....

Upon swapping the S33 out for the old SB8200, I found that Xfinity's system wasn't providing any internet service (even though the front LED lights were working, showing internet connection and the normal colors for my plan). Tho' the  SB8200 and S33 are now both listed as "my equipment" in my Xfinity account, I thought it strange the SB8200 would no longer work (or be recognized?).

I decided to go through the activation process with the SB8200, but no change. Probably BIG MISTAKE NUMBER TWO. Still no internet, and my wifi router cryptically reported that DHCP IP service from my ISP (Xfinity) was "not working properly".

Giving up, I called Xfinity, wrestled with the Bot, and eventually spoke with a tech, who told me he would take a look and reboot the modem from his end.

Reboot went okay, but no change: Router continued to report no DHCP-furnished IP from Xfinity. On hearing that, the tech gave me the Arris tech support phone number and said I would have to contact Arris and get a configuration file for the SB8200, as there was nothing more Xfinity could do. His explanation was that perhaps the Xfinity system thought my Arris modems were both the same model (S33).

Wow, this is hard to believe, but it sounds to me like Xfinity just bricked my SB8200.

I reluctantly re-installed the S33, but again was forced to go through activation, which fortunately worked (again). I've put the S33 on top of a small fan to keep it cool, though even with that, my temp gun shows it at around 35 C on the upper half of the case.

Does Arris even provide a configuration file? Is it something I can apply to the SB8200 myself?  And is it likely that a properly "reconfigured" SB8200 will work again?  Or is it a bad idea to even have two Arris modems registered with Xfinity in the first place?

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 12 March 2024, 23:15

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Thank you for the brief explanation. In this case having two units registered with your service provider will not affect your connection because you will be using only one unit connected to Coax line for internet but if you have confirmed with your ISP that this will affect the modem connectivity you can remove one device from the ISP and use the one which is compatible with your speed plan.

Every Arris unit will have its own software or firmware which can be also considered as a Configuration file so there is no manual update or changes can be done on any modem and there is no option called configuration file on the Arris units.

To work on your issue further could you please help us with your current speed plan

Badge

Hi, thanks for your reply. As mentioned initially, I upgraded to the 1 gigabit plan (1000 mbits down/ 20 up).The new SB8200 worked fine with that plan. I did not experience any problems using it.

Badge

Meant “the old” SB8200 worked fine. The new S33 also works well and allows the fully provisioned speed (around 1.2 gigabits), but it measures over 40 C on the casing, which is significantly warmer than the SB8200. I worry that the S33 will have a short life. My SB8200 had been just fine for 3 years. It is still listed on Xfinity’s site asa recommended modem.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

If you felt too hot to touch the modem S33, I suggest you to visit www.arris.com/consumersupport for further assistance.

Badge

It is not too hot to the touch, but 40 C on one side and 45 C on the other, which is far warmer than the SB8200 (which never really measured over 30 C). Hot electronics wear out sooner. The S33 will probably be going back to Amazon. Since Xfinity somehow ruined my SB8200, I purchased another cable modem (not Arris brand) as a replacement. When it arrives, I will probably change the S33 out and send it back.

However, this thread is/was about Xfinity’s response regarding my issue with the SB8200. As I suspected (and you confirmed), there is no “configuration file”. That was just the hopeless Xfinity tech’s excuse to get me off the customer support line. Of course, I am not surprised, but still find it ridiculous that Xfinity’s system would not or could not fully re-activate my SB8200.Incidentally, a couple of days ago, I logged into my Xfinity account and noticed that the SB8200 had been removed from the list of “my devices”. That list only includes the S33 now.

I feel as though Xfinity damaged my SB8200, though I have no way to confirm that. Anyway, thank you for your responses. I consider your first response to have answered my concerns, and will mark it as such.