Question

range extender for sng10

• 23 January 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

I have an SBG10 inside my shop. It is a metal building. I am ready to install a Ring wireless floodlight security camera outside near roofline. I cannot get a decent signal outside the building on either 2.4 or 5ghz. I maybe get 1 bar on 2.4 but not consistently. 
I am thinking of a range extender or repeater. 
your suggestions, thoughts and a suggested model would be greatly appreciated. 
Thank you. 

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

the problem isn’t the sbg10 or getting a range extender. The problem is the metal walls. 

Metal blocks wifi signal very well. so if you put an extender exterior to the building, it won’t pick up a signal. If you place it inside, how do you get the signal exterior? 

To do it right, what you need to look for is an outdoor rated access point and then hardwire it in exterior to the building. (run an ethernet wire to it)

You might be able to use a range extender and put it on the inside of the buildings but very close to the metal walls. Not sure if it’ll penetrate yet but that’d be your best bet if you couldn’t do the hardwired access point. If you try this route, buy from somewhere with a generous return policy as its not likely to penetrate the walls.