Solved

Router/VPN issue and intermittent internet with SBG10

• 7 March 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge

This has been going on for over 3 weeks and I’ve been in contact with Xfinity, company IT, and the VPN support team.

My internet cuts out on all devices every few minutes ONLY when connected to the VPN. My internet is stable if I connect with my phone’s hotspot or other wifi network, so it’s definitely an issue with the router. This was not an issue until 3 weeks ago.

Everyone is blaming everyone else and they refuse to help me find any of the settings I need to adjust in the admin panel.

How can any of this be resolved? What settings can I adjust without messing up everything else? Xfinity support tells me not to change any of the settings because it’s all optimized. I have tried connecting the ethernet cable directly to the computer, but that does nothing. We have updated the VPN software, uninstalled, reinstalled, turned off, reconnected.

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 13 March 2024, 00:51

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

In this case we would suggest you to try change WIFI channel on the modem interface will avoid interference and that will give better speed and connection and also need to check the cable signal level on the GUI to isolate the issue. 

After changing WIFI channel as recommended on the link restart the modem then we would request you to monitor the connection for next 24hrs.

The cable signal comes from out to inside the home. There are some important things that should be within a specific range in order for the internet to work properly.

First, the SNR should be above 33 on all of them. The downstream power should always be between -15 and +15. The closer to 0 the better connection. Finally, your upstream power should always be between +45 and +51

On all of those values you should not have more than 3 decibels (or dB) between the lowest and the highest

By having the values in less than that, your device will have interrupted connection, slow or no connection at all.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG10-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG10-Cable-Signal-Levels

Badge

This solution did not work at all. The issue is just as bad as it was before.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Since you are experiencing with intermittent internet connection only when the device connected with VPN, I suggest you to follow the instructions on the below given link:

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG10-VPN-Pass-Through-Setup

Badge

All of that was already done before you suggested it, so it obviously doesn’t work.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Help us with the information given below:

• Help us with the modem’s SBG10 FW version.
  • Could you help me with speed plan you opted with internet service provider.
  • Could you let me know the LED light on SBG10.
  • Help us with the behaviors when internet cuts out on all devices.  Are the clients disconnected from SSID?   
  • Does the issue go away after disconnecting VPN or after rebooting SBG10?
  • Could you try enabling Guest Wi-Fi and only connect VPN device to check if SBG10 lose Internet connection.
Badge

You might want to help me understand what you’re asking.

1. What is FW?
  2. No idea, but they sent an email saying my speed was increased today.
  3. Do you mean the lights on the front of the modem? They’re all fine when connected to the internet. Most go off when internet cuts out.
  4. Internet goes down entirely when it cuts out intermittently. Nothing can connect.
  5. Yes to disconnecting VPN. No to rebooting modem.
  6. I can try that, but if nothing else has worked, I highly doubt this will.
Userlevel 5
Badge +41

FW is Firmware version; you can check on the GUI web portal.

I suggest you to contact internet service provider to check the speed plan opted for this modem.