Solved

SBG10 Firmware Updates

• 12 January 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge

I have been having connectivity issues with both ethernet and wifi connections via my work laptop for the past few months (after one of my company’s patches). My home PC and all of my smart devices work fine. We (my company’s IT department and myself) have tested many things, but the fact that my cellular hotspot works flawlessly with my company’s laptop, leads us back to my modem/router as the core of the issue. 

My company’s IT group has suggested that there is possibly a firmware update for my modem/router. I have been unsuccessful find where that would take place. I’ve used the IP address via my home PC AND I tried to use the SBC app (the new one), but it fails to connect to the wifi every time. I’ve used the QR code as well as the WIFI name and password that I set up. I am receiving error code 0000-1614. 

I also contacted my ISP Spectrum and they told me that because I purchased this modem/router myself instead of using their rented pieces, they cannot update firmware for me. I’d have to do it myself.

GLADLY! Just need to understand how. 

Any help (firmware updates or other settings I can possibly update in my IP address sign on that might help) would be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by plemans 14 January 2024, 15:39

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

The Cable Operators (MSOs) have complete control of what cable modem/gateway hardware they will allow installed and the firmware it uses, this is because they own the coaxial cable that is connected to the ARRIS (sbg10), because of that the Firmware updates are pushed by them, and any update needed as well. Any associated firmware updates are automatically deployed by the cable operator. This is not an ARRIS only implementation, but the required implementation of any cable device manufacturer. This is applicable even for the device owned by the customers since the ISP sending signal to the modem.

Regarding intermittent connection issue we would suggest you to change WIFI channel on the modem interface that will avoid interference please follow the steps mentioned on the below article to change channel.
http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG10-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

If the connection issue is with both the ethernet and the wifi, changing wifi channels won’t fix the issue. 

My bet is on the “update” that your company did changes something with its vpn connection. I’d be betting they use a vpn for you. 

You could try setting the laptops ip address into the routers dmz. That forwards all traffic to the laptop. Keep in mind, this removes the routers firewall and can leave it open to the internet. But if that fixes it, I’d be betting on it being an issue with the vpn connection your company is using. 

General FAQs: SBG10: DMZ Setup (salesforce-sites.com)

Badge

If the connection issue is with both the ethernet and the wifi, changing wifi channels won’t fix the issue. 

My bet is on the “update” that your company did changes something with its vpn connection. I’d be betting they use a vpn for you. 

You could try setting the laptops ip address into the routers dmz. That forwards all traffic to the laptop. Keep in mind, this removes the routers firewall and can leave it open to the internet. But if that fixes it, I’d be betting on it being an issue with the vpn connection your company is using. 

General FAQs: SBG10: DMZ Setup (salesforce-sites.com)

You are correct, my company uses a VPN. The company pushed a patch this weekend and I’m hoping it somehow fixes the issue, but if not, I’ll consider that DMZ thing. It doesn’t sound like something my company would prefer long term. 

My other option is to rent the equipment from Spectrum, but even then, no guarantees that it would help.

Thanks for your help!

Badge

@plemans that DMZ thing worked. When I look at the setting it talks about it being suggested as a temporary fix and has potential for hacks. Is this a long term option in your opinion or should I be looking to do something else long term?

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Its not a long term solution. But if you’re using a vpn, my bet would be on its being something the vpn isn’t configured properly for your service. They might require a certain port to be forwarded. using the dmz option forwards EVERYTHING. Versus if you find out from the vpn supplier what specific port needs to be forwarded.