Solved

SBG10 not remembering reserved client IP address

• 17 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Xfinity has been bugging me about my ancient modem so updated with Arris SBG10 modem/router, which I got from Ebay.  Overall setup was straightforward and it basically works, but DHCP service is weird.  I add entries to the list of reserved clients, following the “add”/”apply” protocol.  I get the refresh/log back in routine as described in the tutorial.  But the entries don’t stay on the list over refresh/reboot. I also tried changing a linux computer on my home LAN to Fixed IP, but the SBG10 doesn’t consistently accept that address. Sometimes it does, sometimes it assigns a new address.  My SBG10 also seems erratic just showing all attached clients.

Is the SBG10 known to do this sort of thing? Perhaps I just got a bum example?

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 21 November 2022, 22:23

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello Gopher Baroque,

I just wanted to make sure that there were no steps missing while doing this, I’m going to attach the steps below and let me know if by any chance there were something missing. Now, there’s something that I would like you to try, could you disconnect the coaxial cable and try to do it one more time to see if the issue persists? please let us know if this helped:

1. Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari.  Enter http://192.168.0.1 into the address box, and press the Enter key.  The Login page will appear.

NOTE: A security or private risk alert may appear on the web browser advising users to proceed with caution when accessing the Web Manager. There is no risk in proceeding to the Web Manager. For instructions to by-pass the alert screen, refer to article # 18181 - Alert Message for Web Manager Access.
  2. On the Login page, enter admin in the User Name field.

3. Enter password or a customized password in the Password field.

NOTE: When using the default password to login, it may be required to set a unique password to proceed to the Web Manager.  For assistance with Web Manager Access, refer to article # 18249 – SBG10: Web Manager Access.

4. Click the Apply button.  The System Basic Setup page will appear.

User-added image 
  5. On the System Basic Setup page, click the LAN Setup link on the top menu.  The LAN Settings page will appear.

6. On the LAN Settings page, click the Client List link on the left-hand menu.  The Client List page will appear. 

7. On the Client List page, copy the client's MAC Address under Attached Client List section to use for the Reserved IP Client List setup.

8. Click the Add button.  The Add Reserved IP Client pop-up window will appear.   

User-added image

9. On the Add Reserved IP Client pop-up window, enter a description in the Name field.

10. Enter the desired IP address for the client in the IP Address field.

11. Enter the MAC Address of the client device in the MAC Address field.

12. Click the Add Client button.  The Client List page will appear.

User-added image

13. On the Client List page, click the Apply button under the Reserved IP Client List section.  The Login page will appear.

User-added image

14. On the Login page, enter admin in the User Name field.

15. Enter password or a customized password in the Password field.  The Client List page will appear.

User-added image

16. On the Client List page, verify that the client is added to the Reserved IP Client List to confirm that the setup is complete.

User-added image 

17. To remove the IP Address reservation, check the box to select the client under Reserved IP Client List and then click the Delete button.  The Clent List page will refresh.  

User-added image

I did the above based on previously published tutorials.

My SBG10 does not remember reserved clients very long.  It is also not so good at reporting device names. I did make a workable system by the following:

1. Changed linux computers to turn off DHCP requests and set to fixed addresses. (One was tricky - turned out to have two flavors of network manager running!)
  2. Go to admin panel of other accessories, like printer, and set fixed address and turn off DHCP as features permit
  3. Continue to let other devices get dynamic addresses. They are consumers rather than suppliers of common resources.

So I am depending on the SBG10 as little as possible. I’m not impressed with it.