Skip to main content
Solved

Arris SBG8300 - Speedtest (slower than 1GB)

• 29 August 2023
  • 2 replies

I have Xfinity Comcast cable internet service.  I am provisioned 1000 Mbps download / 20 Mbps Up.
When I run speedtest either from Xfinity or speedtest.net, the test says I roughly get around 300MB download give or take.

I had Xfinity come out because I didnt think I was getting the 1000 MBPS service.  They tested from the Coaxial cable prior to the cable modem a 1000 MBPS service with their meter equipment.  They tested coming from any of the LAN ports with their meter equipment and it shows getting 1000 MBPS service.  But for some reason when my ethernet cable is plugged into my PC or laptop from any of the cable modem LAN ports, I am getting approx 300 MB.  Xfinity even hooked up their laptop into one of the LAN ports and they also saw an approx 300 MB download speed too.

Is the SBG8300 throttling down the internet speed when using the LAN Ports?  When I use the WIFI 2.5 and 5, my speeds are what they should be.  The 5 GHZ is showing around approx 500 MB download speed.  This should never be faster than my hardwired computer setup.

I appreciate any assistance.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello chazter

Thanks for the detailed explanation since you have done all possible trouble shooting and done checking with your internet service provider we would suggest you to reach out to arris technical support for further assistance check on arris.com/consumersupport

Badge

I was seeing something like this too, at first. I had signed up for the gigabit service through Xfinity and wasn’t seeing anything close to that from any device. Ironically enough, the fastest I was seeing was around 650Mbs through speedtest on my iPhone Xs with the 5GHz wifi.  My wired connections were significantly slower.

However, I was able to get 940Mps (close to a gigabit) with an Alienware laptop sitting right next to the modem, with a cat 6 cable about three feet long.  So I believe I *am* getting gigabit, but the attenuation across my wired home network is pretty awful. I swapped out all my cables for better ones (all cat 6 now) and all my internal routers for gigabit-compatible. I still have two routers between the 8300 and my normal laptop, plus a total run of about 120 feet of cat 6, but I can only get about 340Mps using speedtest.   However, other users in my house can get similar speeds, simultaneously, so I’m not too bothered by it. We’re not lacking bandwidth.