Skip to main content
Solved

arris surfboard sbg8300 randomly powers off.

• 9 August 2023
  • 6 replies

My sbg8300 will run fine for 5 or 6 day or sometimes only 1 or 2 days and then just randomly powers off completely ( no lights) I unplug it lights come back on it reboots and connects … sometimes for only a couple of minutes then powers back off other times it stays on for days with no issues… I have changed the power cord.tried other receptacles… I have done a factory reset. I can find no pattern … it is in an open environment so doesn’t appear to be overheating related ….warm to touch but not hot. Please help. Thanks

6 replies

Badge +2

My recommendation is to seek out methods to contact Arris about the problem. It sounds like a defective unit.  I searched for and found a link to text chat with a company rep (even though I think he was in India) but he helped me enormously with my problem and was integral in helping me alleviate the problem.  Sorry, I don’t have the link and would have to retrace my steps taken months back to find it...again sorry, don’t have the time to do that.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hi Rentzboy 

To check on SBG8300 please contact arris.com/consumersupport for further assistance.

Badge

Thank you.

Badge

To those who may have the same issue.. since my router was purchased on EBay there was no warranty or support so with nothing to loose except my purchase price … I took the modem apart. There is one screw on the bottom under the warranty notice. Then you have to remove the bottom it slides into slots… just push right or left depending on orientation…then remove all three adhesive stickers one on back one on front one on top then remove 2 screws under adhesive sticker on top….then pry apart… I removed the heat sinc… scraped off dried thermal paste and reapplied … worked like a charm. So over heating was the issue even though it wasn’t “hot” to the touch. It’s been powered on for 3 weeks uninterrupted.

Badge

Another point the method used to determine it was over heating was powered it on and sit it in my freezer for several hours … it never powered off… it had progressed to oowering off every 5- 6 minutes before I did the freezer test.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

In this case we would suggest you to disconnect the modem from power and please contact Arris customer support for further assistance if the modem is under warranty please do access arris.com/consumersupport