Solved

DHCP Server stops working until disabled and re-enabled SBG8300

• 18 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

I have to disable and enable the IPv4 DHCP server to get it to hand out addresses at least once per week.  It’s been doing this since I bought it and installed it a month ago.  I disabled the IPv6 DHCP server, but that has not helped.  I tried to find how I upgrade the router, but I haven’t had any luck finding that.  Here’s the version on it now:

Software Image Name:AR01.02.078.04_092820_711.NCS.10
Firmware Version:01.02.078.04.NCS

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 12 February 2024, 19:15

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

The Cable Operators (MSOs) have complete control of what cable modem/gateway hardware they will allow installed and the firmware it uses, this is because they own the coaxial cable that is connected to the ARRIS (SBG8300), because of that the Firmware updates are pushed by them, and any update needed as well. Any associated firmware updates are automatically deployed by the cable operator. This is not an ARRIS only implementation, but the required implementation of any cable device manufacturer. Even for the device owned by the cx only ISP can send updates to the modem since they are the one activating modem and sending signals to it.

Badge +1

Yes, I was told the same by a Arris support tech.  I guess I’ll need to return it to the store and try another.  A factory reset did not resolve the issue.

Badge +1

I got a replacement SBG8300 from Arris and it does the same thing as the old one.  When DHCP leases expire on network devices, the SBG8300 does not issue a new lease until the DHCP service is disabled and enabled.  Seems to run for about 24 hours before it stops. I wish I could get a refund from Best Buy but they say I’ve had it too long.  I bought it less than 2 months ago.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

For further troubleshooting, please contact arris.com/consumersupport

Badge +1

I already have a ticket with support open and requested escalation because they are now asking me to try things I’ve already done in the past with them, like there are no notes kept on the case.  I believe there’s a batch of lemons out there and I got 2.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

I hope that you got a call from escalation team, if not let us know for further assistance.

Also, you can visit www.arris.com/consumersupport for further assistance.