Solved

Is my computer's wrong location due to my modem (SBG8300)

• 24 May 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge

So, in short, my desktop and laptop both think I’m located in Canada, but I’m actually in Pennsylvania. This has become a real pain when it comes to streaming and other websites requiring location info.

I’ve tried to eliminate all other possible sources of the problem. I don’t have a VPN, and it doesn’t seem to be a software issue. I’ve spoken to support at Xfinity, Windows, and Google, and none of them can figure out the issue.

I think it may be my SBG8300 modem, because I’ve taken my laptop to a relative’s house who has the exact same type of Xfinity internet, and lives only 15 minutes away, and when I connect to their wifi (without changing anything on my laptop), suddenly my location info is correct.

I’ve also restored my modem to factory settings and still the issue persists. Any help in figuring this out will be very much appreciated! Thanks

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 26 May 2024, 01:39

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

In this case there is no option to setup the location information on the modem it related only to the service provider. The location will depend on the IP provided to the modem by the service provider so please do contact your ISP to change the IP according to your location.