Question

SBG3800: Internet speed 450 mbps but WIfi 70 mbps

• 27 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

Pretty simple:  Using the Surfboard app, showing internet speeds of 450 mbps but shows only 70 mbps on WiFi which is observed on connected devices.  

I’m guessing it’s something very simple I’m missing.  Using spectrum.  At my home when I updated to new modem immediately WiFi went to 350 mbps. 

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +23

Try connecting to 5GHz Wi-Fi for faster speed.  If you’re on 2.4 GHz and the speed could slow down if an old Wi-Fi device is connected.   

You can also try changing the 2.4 GHz channels to 1, 6 or 11 to reduce interference. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

You won’t hit 450mbps over 2.4ghz. that 60-100mbps is more realistic for 2.4ghz. 

5ghz you potentially can depending on the device you’re using. but you have to make sure you’re connected to the 5ghz. 

Are you using bandsteering? (uses the same ssid for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz)

https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG8300-Band-Steering-Setup/?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticle

If so, try disabling it so you can choose which band to connect tot. 

Badge

Thanks for the reply’s.  I am on the 5g network.  It’s not interference.  The SBG8300 even shows 450 mbps in from spectrum but the Wi-Fi is only putting out 70 mbps.  It’s a setting somewhere but which setting?