Skip to main content
Solved

SBG8300 doesn't work with nordVPN and Ring devices - how to fix?

• 31 July 2023
  • 2 replies

NordVPN doesn’t give an error, it just simply won’t connect at all while on the wifi with the sbg8300 router. any ideas on how to troubleshoot what the error is exactly? I have gotten this with nordvpn on some other wifi networks as well, particularly some airport wifis, etc, but most of the time it just connects.

In addition, every time I try to connect a Ring device, it says to “check internet connection”, even on the 2.4ghz network. Any idea how to get that to work?

SIP has been disabled already

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Ring devices, such as Ring doorbell cameras and security systems, often use a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi connection for communication. This frequency is used because it typically offers better range and coverage, making it suitable for devices that might be placed farther away from the router or used outdoors

Make sure that you are typing the Default  Wi-Fi name and password correctly without any errors. The Wi-Fi password is not required to have any space in between and also, type the alpha characters in  “upper case “if still unable to connect try with “lower case”..

If you are not able to connect with the Default Wi-Fi name and password you can try customizing it : 

Click the below link for the same : 

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG8300-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Name-and-Password

Also, Try reaching the Security mode,  log in to the web manager (192.168.0.1 ) select Gateway« Connection « Wi-Fi « Network « and change the Wi-Fi Security Mode from WPA2-PSK(AES) Recommended to WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP-AES).

For the NordVPN issue recommended to contact the NordVPN manufacturer.

Badge

For the Ring device, I have tried using the Default wi-fi name and password, I have tried changing the default wi-fi name and password, and I have also tried switching it to WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP-AES) and no matter what I try, it still says “check your internet connection and try again” even though I know for a fact the internet is working because other devices are connected to the network and working properly. Is there any other setting that needs to be changed to get the Ring device to connect to my network? It will connect to other networks, and my network with a different router/modem, just not any with an Arris SBG8300. Thank you