Skip to main content
Solved

SBG8300 Periodically Drops Internet

• 6 April 2023
  • 6 replies

I have an SBG8300 modem/router connected to Comcast/Xfinity Cable.

I bought it from BestBuy last month, and it was working completely fine in the first few days (around 5 days). However, it periodically loses internet connection about every 2-4 days, and I have to unplug and plug back the modem each time to restore the connection. I called the ISP customer service, and they said they had updated the settings, but the same scenario kept happening afterward.

Is there any possible reason for this? The WAN status when the internet is not working is similar to the one when the internet is working.

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Dropping may be caused by different things (environment, wiring, signal, hardware). Since you already contacted your ISP my best recommendation is to contact ARRIS technical support so they can guide you thru different steps and can tell you what the information you see in your SBG8300 means and provide an accurate resolution

No matter when I call I get a busy signal.  I am unable to contact you.

Sylvester Bennett  917-685-4846 contact me please, the cable company say you can send a signal to the router or update to fix the issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

@smolGao do you have a screensnip of the cable connections page and event logs? 

Those help check the line as the ISP’s first line is always “the line is fine. its not us”

Badge

@smolGao do you have a screensnip of the cable connections page and event logs? 

Those help check the line as the ISP’s first line is always “the line is fine. its not us”

I captured the connection page when it was down. The ISP representative I talked to before this post said something their end needed to get updated, which they later said was fixed and promised no drops for at least a month. However, it failed randomly again after three days.

I rebooted the combo four days ago. It is working fine up to now. So, I’ll monitor it for a couple more days and see what happens. 

Intermittent connectivity is when the Internet connection is disconnected at random intervals. This document provides troubleshooting steps for when this ... Check that all cable and power connections on your Wi-Fi cable modem are properly  connected. Check that the Online and Wi-Fi LED icons on the ...However, it periodically loses internet connection about every 2-4 days, and I have to unplug and plug back the modem each time to restore ...One of the most common causes of random Wi-Fi drops is poor Wi-Fi signal. Your Wi-Fi signal may be weak because your too far from your router, or you may be experiencing interference from obstructing materials or other Wi-Fi networks

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

your power levels on the upstream are high and the downstream is to low. They’re both out of spec. 

If you’re using any splitters or signal attenuators, remove them. 

check the line for damage, loose connectors, kinked wires, old/bad/corroded parts and remove them. 

If it doesn’t help, the isp needs to check the line.