Skip to main content

While this modem seems to work, it does not work well at all! Contacting a human to discuss isn’t available it doesn’t seem without paying for it during the warranty period.  (ITS still under warranty!)

Several issues I have.   The one that is driving me absolutely crazy is after I set the STATIC IP’s for devices on my network that MUST stay at a static location (CAMERAS).  I set up all of my static IP’s and turn on the network for them all to get their proper IP’s.  That seems to work well.  After a couple months, ALL of my static leases are GONE!  Cameras are at other IP’s.  Set to static again and again month or so later… GONE!  

Other issues that I have had and I just STOPPED attempting to use it… 
I want my LOCAL IP’s to be 10.199.30.XXX.  I setup the DHCP server side for that with starting IP’s at the 20’s to 250.  Works GREAT… UNTIL… A month or so, the SUBNET changes to something that is WAY out of scope and NOTHING works.   I have to factory reset and start from scratch.  So I stopped attempting to change my preferred internal IP’s

Additional issues.  I bought this to have 1G speed at home.  XFINITY says NOT capable of it.  

Appears this modem’s software is HORRIBLE!   WHAT can I do?  I would love to just return it and call it a lost cause and never buy another ARRIS product, but this brand usually provides great product.  HELP! 

Hello McDowelljc

Thank you for the detailed explanation, for this case to trouble shoot further we need more information about the modem 

» Are you facing intermittent connection issue on the modem or Wi-Fi?

» Did you find your modem is rebooting by itself automatically?

» SBG8300 will support  Up to 941 Mbps with Xfinity so 1Gbps is not compatible speed plan for this modem with Xfinity

1.  I have turned off WIFI due to having Ubiquiti MESH networking for wifi. 
  2. The modem does reboot itself, but not that often. Maybe once ever so many months.  
  3. I PURCHASED the SBG8300 because it claims: “With download speeds up to 4 Gbps and Wi-Fi speeds up to 2350 Mbps, the SBG8300 is the perfect solution for Gigabit speed internet plans!”   We LOWERED the plan when XFINITY said it wasn’t compatible to the 800Mbps plan.  The problem is the connection speed even to Xfinity is never 800Mbps.   That may or may not be a modem issue.  If I get a SpeedTest TO Xfinity at 400-500, I feel lucky.

The LARGEST problem is that the modem doesn’t maintain its program at all!   When I tend to do is change the LAN IP from 10.0.0.1 to 10.199.30.1 (Personal thing).  I have had to factory default it several times due to the LOCAL IP and it’s subnet gets scrambled to numbers that isn’t possible to ever have.  I leave the local LAN IP at factory 10.0.0.1 now to avoid the loss of internet to the house.
Then because I have several cameras on my network that I can not force a static IP, I setup 12 devices on the STATIC ADDRESS page for them.  I have had to look several times on why devices are disappearing from the NVR to find that my Static list is GONE.  
Port forwarding has never had any major issues that I am aware of, so that is GOOD.
The modem has been plugged straight to the wall and even tried to a UPS to assist with anything.   Still every 2 or 3 months, I am having to reprogram the modem.
This modem is under warranty and I am sure IF it was used just as a modem with no features, it would work fine.   Unfortunately, I need some of the features.