Skip to main content
Solved

SBG8300 WAN speed drops to a crawl every 2-6 days

• 21 October 2023
  • 3 replies

My SBG8300 is generally reliable and provides close to the gigabit service I’m paying Xfinity for.

However, on random occasions between 2 and 6 days, the WAN speed will suddenly plummet to what appears to be a few hundred (yes, hundred) baud. I can get intermittent pings to go through and sometimes even small chunks of http data, but that’s about it. Not even able to load a full web page before timeouts occur.

Logging into the Arris web interface and selecting Restart is sufficient to correct the issue (as is a power cycle) - for a few days, until it happens again. It usually happens overnight - the WAN connection is fine when I go to bed but it’s often essentially nonexistent when I get up in the morning. Sometimes this is every couple days, sometimes it’s good for up to six days. I think once it may even have lasted for nearly two weeks, but that was unusual.

There are no splitters or any other such devices between the modem and the feed from Xfinity. We’re as clean as we can be.  I loathe calling Xfinity because they have a terrible habit of saying “We see no issue, it must be in your home somewhere”

Any ideas?  It would even suffice if there was a way to have the Arris auto-reboot every morning (like some routers are capable of).

Thanks

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

when it happens next, get a screensnip of the cable connections page and logs. those help check the line. when you reboot a modem, it might be connecting to different channels (modem side) that cause a better connection. And when it auto-switches, it hits the slower ones. so worth checking when its slow

Badge

Forgive my ignorance here, but do you mean the “Downstream QAM” and “Downstream OFDM” parts of the rather lengthy report?

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

yes. it’ll have upstream/downstream data connections and the errors