Skip to main content
Solved

Slow speed internet on SBG8300

• 16 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Xfinity is telling me my router needs updating because my speeds are slow. Where can I figure out how to do this?

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

Let’s begin by confirming whether you are seeing slow speeds at the SBG8300, or whether you are having issues with devices connected via WiFi. What sort of speeds are you seeing when connected directly to the SBG8300? What plan/speed are you paying for?

When you say that you are seeing slow speeds, what devices have you used to check and what speeds are you seeing?

When Xfinitiy said your router needed updating, were they saying the device is old, or there is a software issue? ISP’s are prone to blaming “old hardware”. If I’m reading the specs correctly, the SBG8300 is AC2350 WiFi so I wouldn’t expect it to be throttling your speeds.

Badge

I run the speed test with the wired desktop and my new laptop right next to the modem. The speed on the desktop is running at around 250mbps and on the laptop the most I am getting is around 50mbps. I pay for 900mbps and I bought the modem just last year. Xfinity tried to get me to rent a modem from them again. They said my software needs updating. After about three hours of troubleshooting, they said they had done everything they could do remotely.

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

As your ISP, Xfinity controls the firmware on the SBG8300 from a modem perspective. Therefore, if it is out of date, it is their responsibility.

If you are using the Ookla speedtest, I would install the application on your desktop (if you haven’t already) and rerun and check the speed. All of the “browser based” tests will understate your speed, often by a large amount. 

It might help if you could post the modem status so we can review signal and connection status.

https://arris.my.salesforce-sites.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG8300-Troubleshooting-Internet-Connection/?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticle

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

A couple things. 

1. what band are you testing with the laptop? 2.4ghz is a much slower network and sensitive to interference. 50mbps isn’t unreasonable for it. 
  2. How are you testing on the desktop? Is it hardwired in or over wireless. Make sure to test over a hardwired connection as most wireless signals aren’t going to saturate 900mbps.