Skip to main content

I need some help troubleshooting the wireless my SBG8300.

My wifi is dropping out daily and sometimes multiple times a day. For a connected device, the wifi will stop working. Sometimes the device will show connected with no internet and sometimes it will drop the connection. Sometimes the SSID is still visible but devices are unable to connect. Sometimes the SSID is not visible. Once I reboot the modem, all wifi radios are working again. This has been happening for months but more frequent recently.

I have a 2.4gz radio set up, I have a 5ghz radio set up and I have a 2.4ghz isolated guest network set up. Sometimes the 5ghz radio will stop working and the others will continue to work. Sometimes the 2.4ghz radio will stop working and the other will work and sometimes all the radios stop working.

I have tried all the steps located here: General FAQs: SBG8300: Troubleshooting Intermittent Wi-Fi Connections (salesforce-sites.com)

I have also tried changing the wireless channels.

I have tried moving devices from one radio to the other with the same results.

The wired connections do not drop or disconnect and work great. It is only the wireless.

I have been through all the KB articles on the surfboard website and I have contacted COX numerous times with no assistance other than rebooting the modem. I have found multiple forum posts from Xfinity customers with similar issues. Again, I am with COX and the wired connection works great. However, the wireless consistently drops the connection and doesn’t allow devices to connect or reconnect until the modem is rebooted (normally by pulling the power and plugging it back in). I have asked COX to verify my firmware version and they are unable or unwilling to do that.

I am on software version AR01.02.078.04_092820_711.NCS.10 and firmware version 01.02.078.04.NCS.

My warranty is good until Dec 21, 2024.

I didn’t see a way to edit the post so I wanted to add that I have reviewed the logs and didn’t find any entries that matched when the wifi drops. Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Since you are experiencing with intermittent Wi-Fi connection, I would suggest changing the Wi-Fi channels and monitor it for 24hours.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG8300-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel

Thank you for the response. I have already tried changing the Wi-Fi channels with the same result.

When the wifi drops, I am unable to reconnect or connect to it. Would this be caused by an incorrect channel?

Since you are experiencing with intermittent Wi-Fi connection, I would suggest changing the Wi-Fi channels and monitor it for 24hours.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG8300-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel

I am trying to run the Wi-Fi Spectrum Analyzer per your KB article and I am getting the results below. This is AFTER I click ‘Start Scan’. Is this a known issue? 

If there are no logs under Wi-Fi spectrum analyzer, I would suggest to factory reset the modem and try again.

If the same problem persists, I suggest to reprovisioning the modem with internet service provider.

I have manually set the wifi channels and so far it is helping. I’ve had one drop in the last few days but it is much better than it was before.

Great…! Please monitor the performance and if the problem persists, I suggest to contact ISP to reprovisioning the modem.