Solved

Does my SVG2482AC have WPA3?

• 19 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I just received a warning from Apple on my Iphone about my  security, advising to use WPA 3 security  on my modem and take some other steps.  Before I did anything I wanted to be certain my cable  modem was still viable and a search got me to this group.  I didn’t know about this group or the firmware upgrade issue previously.  Unfortunately, I can’t check that my  SVG2482AC’s firmware is upgraded since there’s some glitch in the password - the admin/Password combo worked once to get me in but when I updated the password, the new and the old passwords both return error messages.  My next step is resetting the modem if I can’t get past the logon problem. It sounds like it’s still worth the effort and I appreciate the work it took getting Comcast to do what they agreed to do.   Comments appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 15 November 2023, 02:52

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

apple is great at pushing others towards newer technology. The SVG2482 isn’t going to have wpa3 as its a hardware change. 

You can either upgrade the modem, or dismiss the notice. WPA2 is still pretty solid 

Badge

Thanks for the quick response. It’s easy to panic but it led me into choppy waters. For some reason when I replaced the default password it would not recognize the new one saved in LastPass, or log in with the default, and there’s no forgot password routine which left me resetting the modem. When I did that the internal  router became non responsive and I could not get it back using the original installation instructions. Further, comcast could not restart the modem remotely and when I finally got it to run their test routines they spent a lot of time and told me the modem worked fine.  After a long wait trying to get to a person I gave up. But  I needed internet access for work I ran out to comcast and got a rented new one which installed easily. 

if you have any suggestions for accessing the built in Arris router I’d appreciate them and would try when I have a little more breathing space, or use the modem just as a standalone with an added router.  Such fun. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Since the rented modem from ISP is working, I suggest you to visit www.arris.com/consumersupport for warranty inquiries.