Question

Intermittent Connectivity Issue

• 31 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hi everyone.  I am new to the community and would greatly appreciate someone's help with my issue.  I am using an SVG2482AC modem/router to connect to Comcast/Xfinity internet.  After years of nearly uncompromising connection I have begun to have loss of connectivity at least every few days and sometimes daily for short periods.  My ISP assures me that my connection is fine and referred me here for help.  I must say I was surprised to see at first glance that there are others experiencing my problem.  My cables and connectors are fine and I even have my modem connected to a UPS because of my security system and smart devices.  Do I need a firmware update or setting adjustment in my modem?

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Is it all devices? just wired devices? Just wireless devices? 

Xfinity is very good at initially saying “its not our line”. 

but without a cable connections page and event log, its tough to believe them. 

I’d post a screensnip of those back on here so we can see how it looks. 

Badge

where does one find: a cable connections page and event log?

Badge

my issue seems to be just with my work (fed gov with VPN) laptop which is wired, VPN disconnects 3-5x per work day for just a minute or 2. My home pc wired doesn’t have issues. I reset my modem/router at least monthly.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

if its only one device with issues and it happens to run a vpn, tends to either indicate the vpn or its settings. What I’d try doing is setting the device that uses the vpn in the routers DMZ

Badge

ok, so what do I put in these boxes?

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

That specific computers ip address

Badge

My problem is across all my devices.  Tv’s, security cameras, PC and cell phone.  Sometimes I lose connection briefly and it returns.  On several occasions lately I think the modem has to renew a DHCP lease with Comcast which causes me to have to sign back in to services like FUBO TV on my smart TVs and Chromecast devices.  My security camera DVR throws up a blue menu any time the modem disconnects and we have to do a mouse click to get it to go away.  That is how we know just how often the service has begun to disconnect lately.