Question

Jitter

• 23 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I have xfinity cable internet and use the Arris SVG2482AC modem/router. My PC is connected to the modem via ethernet. I’m trying to use a streaming audio app call JamKasam. It requires very low total latency. I’m have lots of audio dropouts and the program is indicating that the network jitter is intermittently high. Xfinity claims it’s the modem so want to get some info on how I may reduce the jitter on the Arris modem. Any thoughts?

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Everyone is good at blaming something else. 

Have you actually done a ping/jitter test on it to see if its bad?

Badge

Thanks for the response. The app I’m using JamKazam reports both uplink and downlink jitter. In addition I used a ping/jitter test. Normally the jitter is quite good (less than 5ms) but it intermittently gets very bad (150 to 200ms). Seems to be worse during the day when network traffic is high. Worse also when I send multiple audio streams. I’ve already tried multiple computers, multiple ethernet network connection back to the modem. Not trying to blame. Only trying to find answers. Our cable guy is coming out tomorrow morning to check the network connections.