Solved

Maybe a networking question

• 26 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I have a Loran device which uses a power injector to supply POE.

When I hook up the input lan cable to the injector (The mostly non-powered side) and  have the other end directly in the gateway/modem (just called gateway after this) I don’t get a connection.  The lights by the ports don’t light up and my device is not connected according to the UI

However, if I use the same cable and go to a switch first, it works just fine.  The lights light up and my device shows connected.

Do I need a “crossover” cable in this application ?  (one where the wires have switched positions relative to the jack on opposite ends)

Thanks

icon

Best answer by plemans 27 July 2023, 17:16

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

what switch are you connecting it to? the SVG2482 (if in router mode) shouldn’t care if its connected to an injector or the switch so I’d also check with whoever makes the injector

Badge

Hey,

Thanks for the response.

The switch is just a little 6 port trendnet.   I still can’t figure out exactly why it’s not transmitting directly.

I built a “crossover” cable just in case that was the problem, but that didn’t do anything either.  I did plug in a similar device that didn’t have the POE injector and that worked correctly.

I don’t understand what that switch could be doing that makes it all right.   Glad to hear any thoughts you might have