Solved

Turning off the WiFi

• 22 July 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I wanted to turn off some of the Wifi  because I don’t need all of that EMF.

The first time I disabled the 5.0 in the control panel and it seemed to shut it off.   In the status panel it showed inactive and the LED indicator (for 5.0) on the modem went dark.

At some point since then the LED light started flashing again even tho the status still says inactive.

Why would the light still be flashing if it’s inactive?

And what made it change?

You can turn the wifi off, either individually or altogether right?  Thanks

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 20 August 2023, 13:59

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hi psylocyber,

The SvG2482AC is essentially a gateway device with a modem and router integrated into it. It appears that you would like to turn off both your Wi-Fi (2.4GHz and 5GHz) networks.

Allow me to show you how to turn off Wi-Fi on both networks (2.4GHz and 5GHz), then sign in using the following username as “admin” and password as “password “ (if not customized) by logging into web manager:10.0.0.1

After logging in to the Gateway page, on the left you will see Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi (click on each of them), and after clicking on Wi-Fi on the right you can see "Private Wi-Fi Network." Go to "Edit" and then change the Wi-Fi network (both 2.4GHz and 5GHz)  from "Enable" to "Disable" so that this will disable the Wi-Fi network.

Try these steps to make your Wi-Fi: Off and you can use the ethernet port for hardwired connection.

Hope this helps.

Badge

Hello,

Thanks for your answer, but  I only wanted to turn one off (the 5.0) and I already did all those steps and in the status section of the UI it says the 5.0 is INACTIVE.

However, the lights on the actual, physical modem still shows a blinking light for the 5.0.  When I first shut off the 5.0 the light also went off.  I don’t know why it started lighting up again, but it makes me feel that it is still transmitting in 5.0.

How do I know if it’s really shut off or not?

Thanks

Badge

Additionally, when I turn off the 2.4 Wifi, the light on the gateway goes out (for now).  But if I turn off the 5.0 that light remains on but blinking slowly.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

If the WIFI lights are off that shows your modem is not providing WIFI signals but sometimes the lights will be flashing even when their is no internet from the WIFI and if the devices are connected to the modem WIFI network it will be flashing. To make sure that your WIFI network whether it is 2.4 or 5G is disabled login to your modem interface and disable the network and also check by connecting t that network whether you can access internet from that particular network.

1. Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari.  Enter http://10.0.0.1 into the address box, and press the Enter key.  The Gateway >Login page will appear.

2. Enter admin in the Username field.

3. Enter password in the Password field then click the Login button.  The Gateway > At a Glance page will appear.