Solved

Repeated random connection resets with Comcast/Xfinity cable voice modem T25

• 31 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I am on my 3rd Arris T25 install in the past 3 weeks. Each install works, shows on the Xfinity app as connected, but randomly resets with loss of connection for 2 to 5 minutes each time.

Can go several hours without a drop, then drop randomly between 5 minutes and 30 minutes between events.

System was working perfectly with the Xfinity leased voice/wifi/cable modem. Nothing changed other than replacing their modem for the purchased T25 non WIFI unit, .

I have always used my own WIFI router.  This driving me nuts and no support from Comcast other than trying to send a tech for 100 bucks / visit to analyze my end.. 

As an engineer, replacing a perfectly  working system/modem with another modem means my system is 100% normal, unless the spec on the Arris T25 is remarkably different from that of the Xfinity modem. As the T25 is approved for use by Xfinity, what the heck is going on?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 20 June 2023, 14:48

View original

4 replies

Badge +2

Did you  get an answer  ours  is doing  the  exact  same.

Badge

Support from Comcast - none.

Had a former network engineer friend over for a visit. He checked the modem, the pingbacks to Xfinity/Comcast server and the modem event logs. Also tried several configurations of hardware to modem in order to see if anything is causing the issue.

Amazingly, on June 1st about 10 PM eastern time, the problem of random self  resetting modem stopped. The  modem stays online to the internet and I don’t get the random crashes, HOWEVER, speed on downloads is about half of what it should be and upload speed is clocking 0.03 to 0.06 where it should be around 12.

The event log shows a problem between the modem and Comcast, my equipment is all 100% working as it should.

The error log does not make sense, but we are unable to find anywhere we can email Comcast/Xfinity the actual logs, setting and other data that might help them solve what is going on.  If anyone has an e-mail for support please post it.

We have service but have issues with latency, takes longer for sites to load and for commands to reach the servers of merchants or whomever we are dealing with.

If all fails, I will send hard copy of all this to HQ in Philadelphia.  Comcast/Xfinity is the most difficult company I have ever encountered when it comes to remote  support. 

Badge

Nope - no replies from Comcast or from anyone on the Arris board.

The modem drops about 4 to 6 times a day (that we know of) and resets itslf after 3 or 5 minute cycle.

Continues happening unabated. Wife beyond frustrated.

Contemplating trying new modem #4, always the T25.  Maybe I should find a Motorola but rue finding out that it ends up doing the same.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello edpom,

It look like T25 cable modem internet is dropping frequently  could you update the led light status on the same .

For example Power/Receive/Send and Online . we need to check the cable signal levels of the downstream and upstream channels 

Do share the lowest and highest value of   power levels/snr of downstream channels and power levels of upstream channels and also number of channels on downstream and upstream .

Follow the link below to check on the cable signal levels : 

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/T25-Cable-Signal-Levels