Skip to main content
Solved

SBG6580 Backup and Restore Help Needed

• 18 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Help would be appreciated in confirming if Arris with certain later firmware updates took away the Backup and Restore option in the SBG6580 modem/router.

I currently have firmware version SBG6580-8.9.0.5-GA-03-154-NOSH.

Years ago, I remember under Basic (even as instructed here: https://arris.my.salesforce-sites.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG6580-v8-5-x-Configuration-Backup-and-Restore-Tool), there was an option to backup and restore. I haven’t seen it anymore for a few years and just wanted to confirm if this was removed on purpose.

I used to see this:

Now I only see this:

Hello ltn

SBG6580 gateway modem will have the same interface settings even after updating firmware but since you cannot see the  Backup and Restore option so you can try resetting modem for 30secs then check with other option on the interface like Advanced for Backup and Restore. But after resetting the modem will go to default setup any custom settings will be removed so use the default network name and password  to connect to your network. When we check for that from our end we can see the option on the SBG6580 interface  or GUI.

Thanks for your reply, SURFboard Moderator. I may have to try a factory reset another time since I have a number of personal configurations (port forwarding, reserved IPs, etc.) that will have to be manually inputted if the reset doesn’t show the Backup and Restore option to load a saved configuration. Too many people in my household working from home for me to take it offline at this time.

It is surprising that the Backup and Restore option is no longer there, not just on the SBG6580 in use but my backup one also--not under Basic or Advance--or anywhere else.

I can confirm that the latest firmware version I have with Xfinity and Arris ( SBG6580-8.9.0.5-GA-03-154-NOSH ) definitely removed the Backup and Restore option.

I tried factory resetting and that didn’t work.

I then purchased another SBG6580 that hasn’t been upgraded beyond version 8.5+ and it had the Backup and Restore under Basic. However, once the firmware was pushed out within minutes to version 8.9+, the Backup and Restore option was removed.