Skip to main content
Question

SBG6700-AC 5Ghz WIFI not working

• 26 January 2024
  • 2 replies

At some point last year, something happened to my SBG6700-AC router/modem because I only see 2Ghz Wifi available in a list of wifi networks on my iPhone and PC laptop. I’ve logged in as admin to SBG6700-AC and made sure that both 2Ghz and 5Ghz are enabled and have different WIFI SID names. I’ve also done factory reset on the SBG6700-AC router. I’ve also made sure that WIFI Band Steering is not enabled. Any thoughts how to get 5Ghz working again? I have a new laptop and iPhone 14 so pretty sure that they support 5Ghz wifi.

My firmware version is D30GW-EAGLE-1.5.4.0-GA-10-NOSH

Both wireless radio and WMM QoS show enabled for 5Ghz.

Cable provider is Time Warner

the 5ghz might have went bad. If you have separate ssids setup, they’re set to broadcast, and a factory reset hasn’t fixed it its either. 

1. the wireless chip went bad
  2. you’re device (phone/laptop) doesn’t have 5ghz
  3. you’ve selected a channel on the router not in your region

Options 2 and 3 are definitely not that case because I’ve had this same modem working for at least 5 years at 5 GHz with different laptops and iphones including these ones. So nothing to do with region or laptop and iPhone itself.

How would I confirm that 5Ghz wireless chip went bad?  Running diagnostic in the admin mode on the portal doesnt seem to show anything failing. Factory reset didnt help. Is it worth trying a different 5Ghz range or different security key?