Skip to main content
Solved

Arris G34 dropping internet, but remains connected to network (wired and wifi)

• 16 August 2024
  • 6 replies

My Arris G34 has developed a problem where every 20 minutes or so I will no longer have internet access but the modem is still connected to the network. I am able to log into my ISP’s website using my cellphone’s mobile data to initiate a reboot of the device and after several minutes I will regain my internet connection. This problem is simultaneously occurring on both my PC which has a wired connection and phone which is connected through Wi-Fi. Looking at other similar posts, I see where it was recommended that I check the cable signal levels 3 times and provide information about my plan through my ISP. I am attaching all relevant information. My ISP is Cox.

First data set:

Second data set:

Third data set:

Cox internet plan:

Wired speed test:

Wi-Fi speed test through the Surfboard Central app:

I’m including the message I got on my phone when the problem occurred:

I’m also including the error message I got when the problem occurred while connected to the modem as I was collecting all the cable signal levels:

I purchased the Arris G34 on January 30th of this year so I am disappointed that I am already encountering issues. I would very much like some kind of resolution to this problem.

Reading other community posts it seems like I may need to add some additional information. When I lose internet connectivity the Arris G34 is showing a solid blue light. 

Also, my WAN IP address (IPv4) is 72.196.121.73

I request that you reprovision the modem with the internet service provider by deactivating the Mac address and reactivating the same to fix this issue since you are getting a valid IP address.

I’m sorry, could you please clarify your response. I am getting an IP address when the modem is working as intended. However, when the problem occurs I no longer have any IP address. 

Running IP config when the problem occurs looks like this:

Would reprovisioning the modem by deactivating the MAC address prevent it from losing connection? 

I’m posting here as a reference for others. I noticed that my modem seemed very hot but I wasn’t sure if it was the normal operating temperature or if it was experiencing higher than normal temps. Out of desperation I decided to point a fan directly at the modem from about a foot away to see if anything improved. I went from disconnecting every 20 minutes to being connected solidly for an hour. I decided to turn the fan off to see what would happen and, sure enough, the issue occurred again. I turned the fan back on and rebooted the modem and have now been connected without issue for over 4 hours. I understand these modems require a bit of airflow in order to keep them cool so I have my modem placed in a location that gets direct airflow from my ac vent, but apparently that is an insufficient amount of cooling for this modem based on either its design or assembly. It should not be necessary to provide an exterior cooling solution in order for this modem to function properly. I am going to be reaching out to customer service to see what they have to say about it. I’ll post again once I have a response. 

Since the modem is getting too hot to touch, I would suggest visiting www.arris.com/consumersupport for further assistance.

For safety measures, I would request to disconnect the modem from power outlet.